• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your advice on becoming a Navy pilot

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
Here's a little bit of background. I got my Private Pilot's license about two years ago, I wanted to be an airline pilot. Got my license at 17 years of age. I'm now 19, a college freshman at MTSU (Middle Tennessee State University) studying aerospace. I am very interested in becoming a naval aviator (not Marines). I would like to know what you guys would do in my shoes as far as taking the different paths to becoming a navy pilot. Does the Navy have an aviation garauntee program like the Marines' PLC program? MTSU does not have an NROTC program. Basically I just want to make sure that I can do the Navy thing but be garaunteed a flight slot, I don't want to go in and not get a flight slot and be stuck on the ground. So basically: college freshman, I'm well rounded, want to be a Navy pilot. Your thoughts on how to get there. Thanks a lot in advance.

Chandler

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
goose, I saw a little bit about that program but I can't find a true detailed description of it.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's great to want to be a Navy Pilot, but there is a lot more to it than that. You have to be willing to be a Naval Officer first. Do some reading on the site, searches on the web, etc to find out what you are asking about. It's not just a show up at 9am, shoot down some Migs, and be home for dinner by 5pm kind of job. Sometimes you are at work until midnight. And why you are there so late has nothing to do with you being a Pilot, but has a lot to do with being an Naval Officer.

Otherwise, good luck on you quest to become a Naval Aviator. It's the greatest job in the world...

Chubby

ENJOY COLLEGE! Apply for BDCP or OCS, what's the worst that could happen, they say no? You will be guaranteed a spot in flight school conditional upon your completion of OCS.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Lots of jobs have long hours. I talk to my doctor buddy anytime I think I work a lot of hours. He's usually on his 30th hour with no sleep. Few jobs let you fly high-performance aircraft a few times a week. Lots of people work long hours at lame jobs just to afford taking a puddle-jumper around the local pattern on the weekend.

saltpeter

The Navy must have changed big time. As a J.O. I never worked until midnight let alone 2a.m.. I recall JOPA skip days and the best job I've ever had. As a department head you will work long hours, but rarely until then. What ground job works such long hours, I'm curious. Give the kid honest information and don't bias it in either direction.

The truth is that nothing in life is guaranteed. The military will make you a pilot if you are willing to work a little harder than the average bear. It's up to you unless something medically disqualifies you. The initial medical is thorough to say the least, because the Navy is making a big investment in you and does not want to lose it's investment. This should take care of any medical concerns you might have. In flight school insturctors for the most part will bend over backwards to see you make it through unless you can not fly safely. In the fleet it can be like the Eprentice where people are competing to be numero ono. This occurs in any job any where. There are tools who want to further their own careers and will step on the back off anyone to get to there goal. Although, since some pilots still dream of a career afterwards and do not want to brand themselves a non-team player most will help you out. Remember, it's up to you though to bug the sh^t out of whomever you need to learn what is required of you. Someone always has the knowledge you need, find them, pursue them, irrate them, until them pass it along. And in turn don't be a turd and forget to help out your bro's.

Call an officer recruiter, sit down with him/her and dicuss your options. There are NO, I repeat NO, bonuses for recruiters. They are paid a salary, as is ever other officer, and could give a hoot or not if you decide to join. And everything is in writing so you can pour over every word he/she tells you in a contract.

I'd like to address the validity of the statement "officer first, aviator second." For those that believe this, my questions is, what is your ground job in flight school? Ah, you don't have one, why, aviator first. Again I ask what is your ground job when you report to the fleet, a job that requires minimal time. Why, aviator first.
For those that don't believe this, fail your PQS in the fleet and tell the skipper, "but sir, look at the wonderful job I'm doing as a maintence officer." You are an aviator first and formost, and the Navy has incurred a huge investment to see to that.
Most individuals who are aviators joined the military to fly and would not have joined otherwise. That's why you are the best, brightest, and most determined mother truckers in the world. Because you will work yourself to death to fly and love ever minute of it. Let the unacceptable candidates be officer's first. I'm kidding of course. But mark my word, as a J.O. your job IS AVIATOR FIRST, SECOND, AND LAST. With a ground job splashed in for effect. Live it, Love it. It's a blast.

edited, 4 posts into 1, easier to read

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
saltpeter said:
But mark my word, as a J.O. your job IS AVIATOR FIRST, SECOND, AND LAST. With a ground job splashed in for effect. Live it, Love it. It's a blast.
I know we did a thread on this a few months back, but the reality of life for today's JO is that you have to be more than just a good aviator to get the EP and have a successful career. That means being noticed for doing your ground job/collateral duties well, and being a leader in the readyroom. The days of getting by on good monkey skills alone (if they ever did exist) are long gone.

Brett

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
MTSUpilot09,

What my onwing said to me on FAM-0 in primary on the subject of how to become a naval aviator:
"Look good on final, sound cool on the radio. That's the only time anyone knows it is you."

Go to ERAU or any other school (which you already are), get good grades, participate in your community, keep your nose clean, and you'll likely get in. I don't know if I'd apply with an underwater basket weaving major, or an English major (I was a criminal justice major and somehow got in, so there is hope for any major).

Keep working hard in school, check out BDCP soon or OCS after school (I did OCS with a SNA billet to follow) and don't give up. It IS more competitive now than when I was accepted in '01, but it sounds like you're already a far better candidate than I was.

Good luck!

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
The days of getting by on good monkey skills alone (if they ever did exist) are long gone.

How true, how true. You've absolutely gotta break out on the ground. You can't go to your skipper and say, "Sorry sir, i wasn't in my shop for the last month while it went to hell because I was studying for my PPC board," that answer just won't fly (and neither will you after that). It sucks that what we trained for during two years or so of flight school is not what we're exclusively graded on. That one week of BOLTC that most of us blow off (I did anyhow) covers some very important aspects of what you'll be doing in your squadron. We are officers first. I may not list "Pilot" or "NFO" as a collateral duty, but more and more that's exactly what it is.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
saltpeter said:
The Navy must have changed big time. As a J.O. I never worked until midnight let alone 2a.m.. I recall JOPA skip days and the best job I've ever had. As a department head you will work long hours, but rarely until then. What ground job works such long hours, I'm curious. Give the kid honest information and don't bias it in either direction.

Independent of an actual ground job, which do sometimes hold you up late, how about duty? I routinely would be rolling out of the squadron at 2:30am having waited for the last bit of crypto to get pulled from the aircraft that landed at 2am. This of course, only to be followed by rolling into the squadron at 6:30 for the first morning flight brief.

I'd like to address the validity of the statement "officer first, aviator second." For those that believe this, my questions is, what is your ground job in flight school? Ah, you don't have one, why, aviator first. Again I ask what is your ground job when you report to the fleet, a job that requires minimal time. Why, aviator first.

Yeah, not so much today. As others have said, there are those that have a very minimal ground job, and those that are the wardroom leaders. There's defintely a correlation nowadays.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
saltpeter said:
The Navy must have changed big time. As a J.O. I never worked until midnight let alone 2a.m.. I recall JOPA skip days and the best job I've ever had. As a department head you will work long hours, but rarely until then. What ground job works such long hours, I'm curious.[/I]

Definetely goggle flights or night bounce periods I've come home home well after midnight...

saltpeter

Since Ensign and JG fitrep's were non-competitive, I never saw an EP on one - ever. Maybe this has changed, but not very long ago you weren't ranked until LT, correct me if this has changed.
My comments on long days referred to a newbies ground job solely. Where an unqualified pilot/NFO was given a relatively menial job in an effort for him/her to spend time studying for their quals. while at work.
And while watch sucks during mids., the SDO was given limited decision making based on his limited experience.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
saltpeter said:
Since Ensign and JG fitrep's were non-competitive, I never saw an EP on one - ever. Maybe this has changed, but not very long ago you weren't ranked until LT, correct me if this has changed.

Problem is that the training command is so ridiculously long now that the pilots don't get to the fleet until they're LTs already...