• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

you think i got a shot?

submarinerssbn

I have gathered up all the stuff i need for my OCS package and it is being routed up the chain of command to have the CO sign the recommendation. Wanted to know what you guys thought. Here is what i have:

Machinist Mate 1ST Class Submarines
Great eval's and am prior enlisted 8yrs, 27yrs old

Last three prt's

Excellent Low
Good High
Excellent Low

Awards

2 NAM's
3 Flag Letters
Junior Sailor of the Year last command
My Hometown "Citizen of the Year" award (for military service, small town)

Recommendations

1 O-5 Air Force Pilots
1 O-6 Submarine Capt
1 O-4 Submarine XO
4 College Proffesor's

Interviews(Highest Marks on every interview)

2 O-5 USN Pilots
1 O-4 USN SWO
2 O-6 USN Pilots
1 0-5 USN Pilot

ASTB

OAR 48 5,6,5

Just wondering if i should get my hopes up? I figured alot of you guys got picked up and could tell me what you think.

submarinerssbn

pilot, nfo, swo

gpa 3.34
Thomas edison state college
Bachelors in applied science and technology
area of study: Nuclear engineering science

SWCS242

SWO in-training
pilot, nfo, swo

gpa 3.34
Thomas edison state college
Bachelors in applied science and technology
area of study: Nuclear engineering science

Of course you have a shot of getting picked up, you will just have to apply, wait, and see what happens.

Good Luck!!

I know very little about the selection process, but your accolades appear more than sufficient. I wish you the best of luck.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
submarinerssbn,

First off, are you a nuckle dragging A ganger, or a prissy Nuke Machinist Mate?

Reading through your summary, you have a solid package, and you excelled in the areas you needed to. Specifically, anything less than "the highest marks" for the Officer Interviews is quite frankly, the kiss of death. Also, the fact that you had aviators sitting on your interview is a major plus.

Eval: You said you had "great" evals. Have the evals been recommending your continued advancement? Any skeletons in there? Negative performance marks in previous ones, etc? Hopefully the last three show continued "superior performance".

CO Recommendation: If there are a couple of you applying to OCS this year at your command, hopefully your CO's rec will have something like "the best OCS applicant my boat/shore command has recommended". The CO recommendation is worth its weight in gold, and hopefully you have had a CPO or divo spend some time putting together a rough draft for forwarding up in your package. That way the CO can cut and slash, and write what HE wants, but hopefully keeps some of your walk on water wording...

I have been where you are at now (at least on a fast attack, I wasn't a boomer fag), and the time you spend on the package is directly proportional to the amount of time the chain is willing to spend on making it better.

Best of luck, and tell us how it goes. There are ALOT of bubbleheads in aviation.

the guys on the sub say there are more planes in the ocean than subs in the sky
+1, got a good laugh, they said that when I was back on the boat too.

submarinerssbn

I was almost a nuke but failed out (a-gang boomer fag) the last day of power school because i registered too much common sense. I had to block out childhood memories to fit in all the damn information. It was a chrash course in physics(never had it before college and chemistry). Anyways just wanted to tell you guys thanks for the encouragement. I have spent about 5 months gathering as many recommendations, interviews, and perfecting my writeup's. I hope it pays off. Thanks webmaster for the gouge, good stuff, and the rest of you guys.

skillz

Specifically, anything less than "the highest marks" for the Officer Interviews is quite frankly, the kiss of death.

Why is this?....The reason I ask is because in my CWO to pilot package I recieved an "excellent" instead of "outstanding" for "oral communication and expresstion of ideas" on one of my interview sheets. All other marks were outstanding...I got absolutely grilled during that interview, I was lucky to make it out alive. Anyways, the CDR that did my interview wrote me one hell of a write up. He didn't even use the interview appraisal sheet, he wrote an entire page on a separate letterhead instead of the 3 to 4 sentences that usually go on the appraisal sheet. So I decided to go ahead and use his interview instead of going elsewhere because the write up was so damn good and I figured it would make up for that one "excellent"....Was this a mistake? :(

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Skillz, in a perfect world, the way your interview was handled is the way it should be done. Marked accordingly. But, as in EVALS/FITREPS, there are messages that are sent to the board. Generally speaking, you will have multiple apps sent in from a command (I am talking enlisted commissioning programs), and the bottom feeder in that group won't have straight high marks across the interview.

I think in your case, that since you had a strong writeup, it mitigates the "excellent".

skillz

and that was my thinking as well. I was very concerned, but the more I read his write up I was sure that it would make up for the excellent. Also, I respected the way he interviewed me, it was "real", it wasn't one of those fluff interviews where the "outstanding" blocks are just checked and some phony words were written up to take up space. Sure I could have went and got all "outstandings" from someone else, but I didn't think it wouldn't have had the same effect as what he said in his write up...Oh well, I hope it works out :confused:...The CWO to pilot board convened today, so we'll see.

On that note, does anyone know how a "board" actually works?? I heard that there are "prescreeners" that go through a package and then forward the pertinent information to the board. Is this true? The "board" doesn't actually see 100% of your package?