• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You have to swim for the PRT?

UnusSupra

I was looking around for what the PRT requires. I know that after the Marines changed their standars everyone else followed. According to this site there is a swim portion http://www.navy-prt.com/malestandard/25-29.html Does anybody know if this is the new standard? Has anyone done it and if so, what is your opinion? Is there a specific style of swim and do you swim right after the run?

Before anybody tells me to search, I did! But everything on google is outdated. And AW didn't have recent posts either.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
It's an option to replace the cardio portion aka the run, as is the ellipitcal, treadmill, or bike. Don't plan on doing it at production sources like OCS. There, everyone runs. Other commands do it if possible. I know in the Corpus VTs, it was an option.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Some commands also don't treat it like "I wanna do elliptical!" .... "Ok, sure". My command, the skipper has a list of everyone who needs an alternate source (swim, not so much, but elliptical/bike etc) and he wants to know why, especially a medical reason, someone is doing an alternate machine PRT.

Swims aren't guaranteed, but usually available in fleet commands where there are enough people who want to do it.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
That is stupid. If you're medically unable to do the run, then you can't be forced to do an alternate form of cardio.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Calling bullshit on the last two posts. It all depends on the reason you're not medically cleared to run.

I've got fucked up knees. When I run, my knees hurt for days. When I do the elliptical for a workout, my knees are fine (I suck up the pain and run the PRT but do the elliptical for everyday cardio)

Why should I not have the option of doing the elliptical if the doc so clears?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Calling bullshit on the last two posts. It all depends on the reason you're not medically cleared to run.

I've got fucked up knees. When I run, my knees hurt for days. When I do the elliptical for a workout, my knees are fine (I suck up the pain and run the PRT but do the elliptical for everyday cardio)

Why should I not have the option of doing the elliptical if the doc so clears?

My point was that people who simply want to use a machine as a preference, are required to provide the CO (in my squadron) with a reason, other than "Because I want to". Your case is cut and dry.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin

From the OPNAVINST:
c. Members who are medically waived from 1.5-mile run/walk are not required to participate in swim event.

I get your point about preferring to do an alternate form of cardio, but what I'm saying is that if you're medically unable to do the run, you can't be forced into an alternate. Therefore, it's silly that the CO requires a medical reason for the member to do an alternate cardio. It really should be, "because I want to".

MasterBates

From my reading of the instruction, there should be no need for justification.

Hell, the elliptical makes more sense, as they are on boats, you can do it on a boat, and it saves peoples knees.

Contrary to popular belief, it's not easier to pass. Score well, maybe. Meet the minimum pass? Not easy compared to run (but not that much harder)