• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You gotta see this!

sundevil

Thats is unbelievable! I take Russian but was only able to understand 3 words "no, certainly, and twenty". Yeah, not very impressive but im going to show my professor the clip and ask him what they are saying about it.

Swmtb

Sneakin'
If I'm not mistaken, the narration is in Ukrainian, which is somewhat similar to Russian. The writing in the airport diagram part is definitely Ukrainian.

89-LX

SU-27

84 people were killed and over 100 injured. Pilot got 14 years in prison and had to pay $1.42 million, copilot got 8 years. Two other show officials got 6 years while a 3rd got 4 years.
23 were children I believe, and like 10-15 were unidentifiable due to being mangled so badly.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What I take away from this is: Don't go to an airshow in the Ukraine. As an aside, when was the last time lots of spectators got killed at a US airshow?

Brett

macattack

Brett327 said:
What I take away from this is: Don't go to an airshow in the Ukraine. As an aside, when was the last time lots of spectators got killed at a US airshow?

Brett

With the way I've seen the Russkies fly (well from the videos), it's no surprise they have these crashes.

T

TXHusker05

Oh damn, was that a hand held recording about halfway through? The angle where the plane came in like 25 feet above this guys head. He just stood there. I would have been running like hell, I don't care if it landed way over there.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
TXHusker05 said:
Oh damn, was that a hand held recording about halfway through? The angle where the plane came in like 25 feet above this guys head. He just stood there. I would have been running like hell, I don't care if it landed way over there.

I'm guessing that the severe amount of crap in his pants prevented him from moving

Superclub

pilot
Originally Posted by Brett327
As an aside, when was the last time lots of spectators got killed at a US airshow?

In the many years since the Federal Aviation Agency has regulated airshow safety in the United States, there has not been a
spectator fatality from an airshow crash

http://www.avialantic.com/av-main/airsafe.html

Not sure when the regulation began, but the article says that Britain has not had an accident in 45 years, guessing we are somewhat similar don't know for sure though.

89-LX

vanity said:
I never saw them eject, maybe because of the camera angle we missed it.

They ejected. Its after it slams into all the people, its sliding on its side behind some buildings. They eject then.

Here is what was accounted for the crash:

-violation of the flight plan by crew or ground co-ordinator
-improper flight plan: particularly, mistaken correlation between the flight and spectators' zones
-piloting error
-technical failure
-fueling the plane with an excess amount of kerosene, causing the Su-27 to become too heavy and not agile enough to complete the manouver

This is why they recieved jail time. On June 24, 2005, military courts sentenced the two pilots, Volodymyr Toponar and Yuriy Yegorov, to fourteen and eight years in prison, respectively. The court found the two pilots and three other military officials guilty of failing to follow orders, negligence and violating flight rules. Two of the three officials were sentenced to up to six years in prison, and the last official received up to four years. In addition, Toponar was ordered to pay 7.2 million hryvnia ($1.42 million; €1.18 million) in compensation to the families, and Yegorov another 2.5 million hryvna.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Somehow, I'm betting that a Ukrainian military officer is not going to have 1.42 million bones laying around.

Brett

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Somehow, I'm betting that a Ukrainian military officer is not going to have 1.42 million bones laying around.

Brett
Wouldn't that depend on how long he/she had been supplying the black market with all the squadron's spare parts?