• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You decide what best for me!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotshotgunship

I would like to know what branch of service that I would have more of a chance to get my wings or even NFO. Marines or Navy. I have about 14 months left before I graduate with my B.S. I have so far a GPA of 3.74 and have strong knowledge of civilian avaition buts no flight time. My goal is to join either Navy, Marines, or Air Force. I narrowed it done to what I would likt to do. If I choose Marines I want helos or NFO. If I go Navy NFO only, If I choose Air Force EWO only. I need to start working on getting in ASAP while I still have time. What is the probabilites for these jobs at the moment or even the future. Only you guys can answer this question for me after all most of you are already in the process now.
Thanks To You All
blindfold_125.gif

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Uh..

I think that the service that you decide to join should be up to YOU. Look into the Branch of Service (only join the Marines if you really want to be a Marine), missions, lifestyles, family life Duty Stations etc. Jot down the pros and cons of each. See what is the most attractive to you. NFO and EWO I believe are available. But things change. Look at whats best for YOU and YOU make the decision. That way you can't blame somebody else down the line for your decision.

Dave

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I think you should be the one who has the drive and motivation to choose a branch that appeals to you. A lot of people go into the military to fly, but they're there because they want to be in the Navy, or they want to be in the Marines, etc... While I'm not in the pipeline yet, I think that everybody who is really wants to be there and made their own decision based on their own feelings. I don't think you'll make it through training if somebody else made up your mind. Also do your research, it doesn't sound like you delved into this subject too deeply...

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

kimphil

Army has plenty of helos. Maybe you should consider them?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
No kidding...if you're a truly devoted helo guy, what could be cooler than an Apache gunship, or one of the new Comanches? If i was gonna fly helos, that's what I'd want to fly...
-A

Ummm...yeah

hotshotgunship

Thanks Guys for giving your opinnions

I truely wish that I could join the Army; however, my eyes are not up to there minimums. I don't then they have waivers for PRK corrections. Thats why I would consider the Marines. They do have waivers! I don't wish to fly fixed because again my eyes is whats restricts me. Besides it seems that my chances are mucher higher of in getting rotary then fixed. I would choose EWO because it would be another possible option to be able to work the systems in the aircraft. Being an EWO in AF is just like a NFO in the Marines and Navy right???
My eyes are 20/60 uncorrected.

Meridiani

The Army does have PRK waivers for warrant officer pilots. I did some research on this myself. You might also inquire about a vision waiver, since your vision is only slightly outside of the acceptable standards for the Army WOFT program.

Av Fan

The Air Force requires 20/70 to be a pilot as long as its correctable to 20/20.

Victory favors the bold

kevin

is this another IP?!?! alright, well if not here's one thing....your eyes dont mean diddly squat with regards to what airframe you get. only matters for getting into pilot/nfo/etc. odds for getting a certain airframe depends on the time too. although the af is the most jet centered, army helos only, the rest depends on timing (recently the marines were or are taking mostly jets, etc). you should look around this forum as there's a wealth of info.

hotshotgunship

The army has vision waivers? I did some research about army woft. I found that for army 153a pilot, that it didn't mention about vision waivers. I want helos as a primary. Secondary would be NFO or EWO. Can you Meridiani can you give a link to where it says about vision waivers for woft. Kevin if I considered the AF then I would probably stick with EWO only. But flying helos is what I really want to do. But then again NFO sound pretty interesting as well. Dunedan flying an Apache would be my dream ,come true. If anybody has news about Army vision waivers please let me know.

Would I have a better chance you getting helos today, then jets????

Meridiani

Hotshot, I ran a few searches on PRK waivers for Army WOFT. I don't still have the links, but I can tell you where I went. Go to www.armyocs.com and run a search on either PRK or laser eye surgery. Do the same at military.com, and run a search under the Army forums. One of the posts contained in one of those forums has a link to the opthamology docs for Army aviation. I don't know whether they offer vision waivers (for 20/60), but it occured to me that you might try and find out. It's definitely worth a shot.

hotshotgunship

Meridiani

How much does a PRK cost on average. Would it be better for me to get it before getting in to the military. I hearing that its horror trying to get it from Uncle Sam? Thanks for the link I will look into it? Why do you suspect that the army will not give a waiver for having a 20/60 minimum?
Can I get averages from everyone who has had PRK if they got it outside the service?

Meridiani

Go to the top of the page and click on the 'Search' button. Enter 'PRK' into the search parameters. You'll get lots and lots of info on PRK, including its cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.