• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You could have heard a pin drop

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Here's a threadjack: can one of the AW elders put up a sticky to warn newbies not to post derogatory comments about elected officials currently in office? We seem to be getting that a lot lately, and it's bound to get worse as the partisan hackery machine ramps up this fall.

RockySLP

Well, we did pay them for it...

That's an iffy one.

If I had a gun to your head and demanded that you sell me your backyard I'd probably get a good deal. Otherwise, there's a chance I could take your entire house.

We were occupying Mexico City when we had them sign Guadalupe Hidalgo for $15 million. We later made the Gadsden Purchase for something like $10 million. Check out a map of each one and guess which was made under duress.

One could argue, however, that they never really "had" those areas given their inability to populate them. If you just stake a flag and walk off you can't expect much. Same deal with the Louisiana Purchase. They knew we'd just take it eventually...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's a threadjack: can one of the AW elders put up a sticky to warn newbies not to post derogatory comments about elected officials currently in office? We seem to be getting that a lot lately, and it's bound to get worse as the partisan hackery machine ramps up this fall.

They do a decent job already, especially those who are serving. Those who are not, can't do too much but tell them off.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You may be a history/poli sci major at Columbia, but that's a little bit of a trollish remark from someone with only 7 posts. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, though :)

Trollish?! Eh, not so much to me.......

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
If I had a gun to your head and demanded that you sell me your backyard I'd probably get a good deal. Otherwise, there's a chance I could take your entire house.

We were occupying Mexico City when we had them sign Guadalupe Hidalgo for $15 million. We later made the Gadsden Purchase for something like $10 million. Check out a map of each one and guess which was made under duress.

One could argue, however, that they never really "had" those areas given their inability to populate them. If you just stake a flag and walk off you can't expect much. Same deal with the Louisiana Purchase. They knew we'd just take it eventually...

Thanks, but I'm well aware of the history and geography involved. :)

The things that I'm surprised doesn't come up more as an argument for evil US economic and military imperialism is that whole Banna Republic thing / the mess that was the Phillippinnes.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor

The things that I'm surprised doesn't come up more as an argument for evil US economic and military imperialism is that whole Banna Republic thing / the mess that was the Phillippinnes.

And when Manuel L. Quezon campaigned for under the slogan “I’d rather have a government run like hell by the Filipinos than a government run like heaven by the Americans.”

You could have heard a pin drop!

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c

i think congress has even apologized for overthrowing hawaii. it didn't seem hawaii was such a mess before, although i doubt it wouldn't have progressed so far as it is if the US hadn't taken it.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
i think congress has even apologized for overthrowing hawaii. it didn't seem hawaii was such a mess before, although i doubt it wouldn't have progressed so far as it is if the US hadn't taken it.
I guess it would depend on how you define "progress".

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I must have missed the entire point of this thread. I was under the impression that the moral of the story was "Phuck the French."

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
And when Manuel L. Quezon campaigned for under the slogan “I’d rather have a government run like hell by the Filipinos than a government run like heaven by the Americans.”

You could have heard a pin drop!

National self-determination... It has me all soo mixed up inside.

Part of me says, in theory, it's a must. Then I look at the Balkans, or Iraq, and it's applications the world 'round and wish Woodrow Wilson had never overcome lysdexia.

RockySLP

National self-determination... It has me all soo mixed up inside.

Part of me says, in theory, it's a must. Then I look at the Balkans, or Iraq, and it's applications the world 'round and wish Woodrow Wilson had never overcome lysdexia.

You're talking about the guy who watched Danzig go to Poland and the Sudetenland go to Czechoslovakia, right?

Apparently it had him mixed up also.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Just read an interesting book on the subject (Colossus by Niall Ferguson). He argues that America is an empire - but that that is a good thing. Good read.

Anyway, for proof that America is an empire, note that we have 50 States not 13 Colonies.