• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

YIKES!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now, I have no idea what the network architecture in your average passenger jet looks like, but I read a piece after this whole "terrorists are going to hack into the aircraft network" scare went up a few weeks back. The author was fairly adamant that the network that controls the functioning of the aircraft is completely separate from anything the passengers might access in the cabin through the in-flight entertainment system or Wi-Fi.

Color me skeptical.

jmcquate

Contributor
I agree Brett. Why would an auto throttle have the capability to input asymmetrical thrust?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Per usual, the author trying to convey an esoteric aspect of aviation fails to accurately describe the situation because he has no idea what he's talking about. Where's the one-armed Miles O'Brien when you need him?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Agree. I find it hard to believe the design of those systems would allow for such tomfoolery, but what do I know.

The article I read said the hacker made the plane fly "sideways"....

Are we talking Galaga/Space Invaders-esque sideways, or what? If so, make him hacker of the year

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read that bit this morning too. I am also a bit skeptical. One, that the in-flight entertainment servers are in any way connected to the flight control computers. Why would they be? There's no reason to build that capability into the system. It's kind of the Hollywood "all computers can talk to all other computers because they're computers" mythology. And second, this guy supposedly hacked into the auto-throttles on a flight he was on. Doesn't fucking around with flight controls on a plane you're flying in seem kind of excessively dangerous even for the most hard-core black hat hacker?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
This comment on MetaFilter gives some good background on the situation.

(Yes, IFE systems are connected to the flight computers - how else do you think you see your position, airspeed, ground speed, OAT, ETA, ETE, etc?)

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This comment on MetaFilter gives some good background on the situation.

(Yes, IFE systems are connected to the flight computers - how else do you think you see your position, airspeed, ground speed, OAT, ETA, ETE, etc?)

I would want a more credible source than a dude posting in the comment section of a website, but at least he backs it up with some technical data that sounds plausible to my admittedly limited understanding of TCP/IP. Either way, his statement would seem to contradict the claim that the article is making. Take that for what it's worth. I'm still highly skeptical of the original claim that the "security researcher" took control of the aircraft's engines or other flight related systems. Possible? Perhaps, but highly improbable.

squorch2

pilot
BLUF: while in flight entertainment systems and cockpit systems may share a common data link and bus for weight reasons, the underlying structure of the network (ARINC 664 nee Avionics Full Duplex Switched Ethernet) keeps unexpected machines from accessing the network.

*begin nerrrrrdsssss*

Standard Ethernet (10BaseT, 802.11x [wireless], etc.) is half duplex - only one station can transmit at a time, and if 2 or more transmit at the same time, a "collision" occurs, and everyone backs off for a random amount of time. Such networks only require simple hubs that are the equivalent of twisting a bunch of Ethernet cable together, but are easily expanded via plugging in to the hub or joining the wireless network.

Full duplex networks, where stations can transmit and receive at the same time, require more advanced hardware that can switch up the connections between stations so that they're only talking to each other at any given time. This type of network is still easily joined, but can be more secure if the network switch supports it. Still hackable, though.

ARINC 664, built on top of full duplex ethernet, takes this a step further, using highly advanced, specialized hardware to perform switching functions, dedicate bandwidth to critical stations, and police network traffic. The network structure is defined when the it is first physically created and cannot be easily modified. That is, you can't just plug into the network and start transmitting as you can with standard Ethernet. Furthermore, individual nodes have defined roles such as input only, output only, input/output - and can't be changed easily. (It requires physical access to the network controlling hardware.)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
words-1.gif
English translation: smart network engineers should be able to set up the IFE network to receive data from the aircraft nav system, but reject packets going from the IFE system the other way. Of course, this is ignoring any potential vulnerabilities in the components themselves, which might let a hacker trickfuck this arrangement.

squorch2

pilot
To paraphrase Schneier, every system is vulnerable - we don't have the engineering acumen to design perfectly hardened networks.