• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

YGTBSM!! The USS Chavez - right up there with Big E, Mighty Mo, The Sullivans??

CAMike

None
Contributor
Ray Maybus and the Moral ReDistribution Department are on a special kind of mission. Even the hardcore Caesar Chavez groupies in CA think having a warship with his name on it is ludicrous since he was a pacifist at heart. Cesar didn't like his two years in the Navy and certainly didn't support the Navy in even the slightest way, so why name a ship after him? Ray- My avatar is plain sarcasm! You're actively beating your Navy with a new kind of moral authority and it hurts in a "Not Nice" way.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
A friend from Ye Olde Boate Schoole is stationed aboard a ship in drydock nearby the alleged Chavez. He actually had to educate some of his junior mint DIVOs on who the proposed namesake was, and they're response was essentially, "So what?"

Personally, I think what any boat named []Chavez[/I] needs is a Skipper with enough balls to scuttle her on her first sea trial. ...Preferably with the Honorable Barbara Boxer--who was SO impressed by the Navy's line of thinking--lashed to the deck.

To quote someone else: "I weep..."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Most/many of you are too young to remember the heyday of Chavez's "organizing", i.e. the days of "grapes of wrath" & lettuce boycotts. His lineage goes through the UFW with Dolores Huerta, the "Rev" Jesse Jackson as a latter-day hanger-on, down to Fred Ross, the CSO, Saul Alinsky, and a host of others ...

But hey, politics aside, Chavez served in the Navy for 2 years & I heard somewhere he was seasick whenever more than 2 feet from the pier ... I served for 20 years and never got seasick once. Where's MY ship ???

chaveznavy.jpg

But mebbe this is a good thing? Instead of having red lettuce and green tomatoes, one wonders if the crew will find that lettuce and tomatoes are the "proper" colores (sic) in the USS Chavez chow line .... ??? Or perhaps even '60s tie-dyed ???

The USS Chavez. What a strange world we live in ...

It almost makes one weep for the future ...

76201351.jpg

navyterp67

pilot