• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

yet another "what are my chances" and also request for advice.

jpham79

I know you guys must get this question like everyday, but here it goes again:
"what are my chances" in this situation that...

I am soon turning 27 on september.
I am in good health and perfect vision. ableit short. (5'5 at 140lb)
I have a 3.0 gpa in Computer Science. I am currently pursuing my Masters in Computer Science (very willing to put that on hold if I get accepted into OCS)
Clean record except for a couple bounced checks and one speeding ticket.
Currently working as a programmer in web development.
I will have to find letters of recommendation from former employers.
I would really love to get into "cryptology" as it is pertinent to my area of study.

so here goes....what are my chances...?
and more importantly, would you guys happen to have any advice or any kind of tips? This is something I have been thinking about for the past 2 years and really would like to go for.

Thanks so much for your time in reading yet another "what are my chances" post. I really appreciate it.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know you guys must get this question like everyday, but here it goes again:
"what are my chances" in this situation that...

I am soon turning 27 on september.
I am in good health and perfect vision. ableit short. (5'5 at 140lb)
I have a 3.0 gpa in Computer Science. I am currently pursuing my Masters in Computer Science (very willing to put that on hold if I get accepted into OCS)
Clean record except for a couple bounced checks and one speeding ticket.
Currently working as a programmer in web development.
I will have to find letters of recommendation from former employers.
I would really love to get into "cryptology" as it is pertinent to my area of study.

so here goes....what are my chances...?
and more importantly, would you guys happen to have any advice or any kind of tips? This is something I have been thinking about for the past 2 years and really would like to go for.

Thanks so much for your time in reading yet another "what are my chances" post. I really appreciate it.
We can't really tell you what your chances are. Needs of the Navy at the time you apply always have a bigger impact on whether you get selected or not. If the Navy has already selected its fill of Information Warfare Officers (formerly known as cryptology) for the fiscal year (and sometimes even for the next fiscal year), then you may have to wait awhile. You need to be commissioned before you turn 35, so you still have a significant amount of time. Your BS in computer science is certainly a plus for applying for this designator. I would not stop your masters program. Get that done, but don’t wait till you’re done with it to apply.

My recommendation to you is to start studying for the ASTB. Study for a few months until you’re ready to take it and then go blow it out of the water. Also, see if you can seek out an Information Warfare Officer who will sit down and interview you. His comments about you would be a good addition for your package.

Now, get cracking. You’ve got some work to do.

chrispaul

NFO
None
As a former Officer Recruiter, I'd say your basic profile is a good one for getting a Naval Officer commission. All you need to do is find your nearest Officer Recruiting office (http://www.cnrc.navy.mil - then use the pull down menu to find your nearest office) and start an application. There's no obligation to apply.

As for specialized fields like cryptology, I agree with Steve's post. It depends on the needs of the Navy at the time you apply. Go ahead and apply, what have you got to lose?

One note about talking to the recruiter. Make sure you're in touch with the Officer Programs Office. The local recruiting offices that are in almost every town are enlisted recruiting offices. Typically the Officer Programs offices are located in only larger urban areas/cities. So be sure the enlisted office refers you on to the nearest Officer Program Office.

Feel free to post again if you have specific questions about the application process.

Good luck.

jpham79

What if

What if the navy has its fill? Will I have to re-apply again next year? Also, how would I find out if it has reached the quota.

We can't really tell you what your chances are. Needs of the Navy at the time you apply always have a bigger impact on whether you get selected or not. If the Navy has already selected its fill of Information Warfare Officers (formerly known as cryptology) for the fiscal year (and sometimes even for the next fiscal year), then you may have to wait awhile. You need to be commissioned before you turn 35, so you still have a significant amount of time. Your BS in computer science is certainly a plus for applying for this designator. I would not stop your masters program. Get that done, but don’t wait till you’re done with it to apply.

My recommendation to you is to start studying for the ASTB. Study for a few months until you’re ready to take it and then go blow it out of the water. Also, see if you can seek out an Information Warfare Officer who will sit down and interview you. His comments about you would be a good addition for your package.

Now, get cracking. You’ve got some work to do.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
The Officer Recruiter can tell you if they are full for the year. He can also probably give you some idea for next years quota's. When my wife was looking into going Navy as an Occupational Therapist they were able to look out a few years at projected numbers.