• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yet Another Thread on Watches - Not about brand

MasterBates

I would duct-tape a watch to the spacesuit, but that's just me.

I've always wanted to duct-tape something space related, just because I could.

HornyU2

pilot
None
I would duct-tape a watch to the spacesuit, but that's just me.

I've always wanted to duct-tape something space related, just because I could.

There was serious talk of having one sewn in - for egress and evasion purposes but, I'm sure you can understand how nightmarish of a design/procurement/approval process that became. I'm assuming the cost quickly outweighed the benefit.

But, duct tape has been used in the deuce cockpit. Not going to incriminate, self or otherwise, but suffice it to say guys get pretty creative after sitting alone for 10+ hours.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Yeah, but it's worthless if you move out of Zulu time. :D

Unless your jet flies in GMT.

I've said it before, my G-shock has everything I need. It gets an exact time hack every morning (if you're not in a ships hull), it has a memo feature to keep all of your t/o and land times for you, and is very easy to fly around in GMT in country.

That said, the new Pathfinders are very nice and big and everyone knows the bigger the watch, the better the pilot.

:icon_smil

FlyinRock

Young Sir
As one with many years of folly behind me, and having spent thousands of dollars on expensive watches (make that MANY thousands) the one thing I can say, if you have two watches you'll never be sure of what time it is?
While I was a real Rolex fan for decades, they are just a Texas Timex and way overpriced. Tried different brands and found them to be just a time piece. Tag Hueur, Omega, Bulova, et al.
With my old eyes, I have been wearing the LumiNox for the past 10 years of so and been happy with my latest one. Got it for $100 on Ebay about 5 years ago and I suspect will need a battery soon. If I lose it, hell it has only been about $20 per year, marvelous timekeeping, easy to read especially in subdued light. I'm not a fan of the hinky SEAL watchband but it is durable and that matters more than the image.
As for the aviation functions, you'll learn to do them in your head fast enough for practical use. Fuel burns, ETE's, etc. Comes with time and experience/exposure.
Don't spend a lot of money for somethiing that tells time! Well, on the other hand, its YOUR money and you spend it any way you like!
Semper Fi
Rocky in Uganda

Feet Wet

It's true about currencies...the bezel is a pretty sweet money converter.

What's a whiz wheel? I've never actually flown with one...fuel management involves setting up a complex algorithm, usually written down on scratch paper and promptly thrown away, to calculate burn based on winds, proposed route, weight, fuel density, speeds, etc all of which is laid out in a log. Once aloft, you set a nice easy number that can be divided into minutes real easy (say, 600#/Hr) and turn your fuel log over so you can scribble shit on it once ATC completely reroutes your flight around a line of t-storms and effs your numbers to hell anyways. After that it's all in your head anyways.

Yep.

dilbert123

pilot
Watches

Hi, guys. This is my first post- just recently discovered Airwarriors. Great site.

I'm on old-timer. From my perspective, the custom of the large, expensive watches, like Rolexes and Omegas, the most popular during my time, dates back to the 60's when I was flying. At that time there were no battery-operated watches, no quartzes, just windups. The advantage of the Rolex, which is what I bought, is that for the time it was about the most accurate timepiece you could easily carry and the second hand could be stopped to get a time hack. I used mine for celestial- it has big hands and can be seen at night fairly easily, including the second hand. We were issued small windup Hamiltons with the Nav bag which were supposedly accurate, and were I guess, but you never knew the last time it was dropped and what if it crapped out during a flight? Back then the Rolex was not all that well known and was not nearly as expensive as they are now.

The large watches caught on and just about everyone had one. There was a joke at the time about a Pensacola cop bringing a naked man into the police station. He tells his sargeant that he has arrested a Navy pilot. The sarge looks at the naked man, then asks the cop how he knows that this guy is a Navy pilot. The cop responds by saying that the naked guy has a big watch and a small dick. That pretty much sums it up.

I still have my Rolex, but I use an inexpensive quartz watch to set the Rolex to the correct time. I would get whatever watch appeals to you with the knowledge that a cheap quartz watch will run rings around any Rolex for accuracy.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I still use the $10 walmart special I purchased in flight school 3 years ago. I can't tell you the name because it wore off, but it keeps a good gps hack for at least a day or two. The best thing is that I don't care if it get scratched (because it WILL get scratched).

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I still use the $10 walmart special I purchased in flight school 3 years ago. I can't tell you the name because it wore off, but it keeps a good gps hack for at least a day or two. The best thing is that I don't care if it get scratched (because it WILL get scratched).

My $7.95 Casio has lasted me just over a year and counting.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
At this point you'd be better off using the money on hookers and blow.

You'd always be better off using the money on hookers and blow.
You only neeed a watch to tell time, though I like having an analog dial with good second sweep and a digital readout for Zulu.
Really, though, as long as you know the time, you'll always know when it's time for more hookers and blow.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Overstock.com had an extra 10% off on watches--they have some high end stuff. The clearance watches can go as much as 85% off. If you are thinking you want the fancy, over-priced watch-- (I did some watch shopping recently.)

aeroeng

pilot
Like the gentleman above, I love my trusty Luminox. I've had it since Freshman year of High School and have banged, submerged, and generally abused it and it's still ticking. However, the only time I used a watch in the plane during Primary was to make sure the aircraft clock was set properly.