• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yet another Taliban beheading...

STLEngineer

pilot
I won't inject my opinion...
Unfortunately, the only people we have to blame for this problem is ourselves.

So much for that.

Blaming America first is just more moral equivalency BS. There is right and wrong. We have made mistakes as a nation, but to say that we caused this man to be murdered is a farce.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I've always failed to understand the hate that drives these people. I try to imagine what kind of hate i'd have to possess to allow me to behead someone while they are alive... The most aggravating thing I can think of is someone harming a helpless woman (sister, wife, mother)... Even then, I don't think I could behead them while they were alive.

Well, I'd say there are two big factors. First off, you have to consider that a good majority of these extremists are extremely poorly educated (as in nothing past elementary school or possibly middle school) whereas the people who are directing them (i.e. OBL) and concocting these operations are not only educated but very calculating. These people are easy to brain wash and easy to fill with emotionally, religiously-charged rhetoric because they simply have never been forced or even encouraged to think for themselves. Ever.

Next, these people very much view the US and anyone - even Muslims - who are not entirely ideologically-aligned with them as the absolute anti-Christ, if you will, and - again, this harks back to the brainwashing bit - are absolutely set in their ways and convinced that what they are doing will ultimately be rewarded in martyrdom. Also, the fact that they may or may not have directly lost multiple family members over the course of the conflict over there in these last few years surely exacerbates the situation immensely.

MPH

I won't inject my opinion, but do like this explanation:
http://www.greens.org/s-r/27/27-02.html

Really? You're sourcing theGREEN PARTYfor an explanation on... well anything?

I'm with STL, this is just moral equivalency bullshit. America gets blamed for everything, and its pathetic. What happened to self-determination? Last time I checked no one made Afghanistan do anything up until 2001. If they have a problem with the fact their country sucked ass, they need to look inward.

Further, I reject the notion that anyone other than the Taliban created the Taliban. The US financed and armed all Afghans willing to fight the Soviets, just because a percentage later became members of the Taliban does not mean jack shit. I'm sure a larger percentage tried to go back to their normal lives, but we certainly don't get credit for that.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I won't inject my opinion, but do like this explanation:
http://www.greens.org/s-r/27/27-02.html

That is an overly simplistic explanation for a very complex situation in a very complex region. And your source is verging on delusional if he believes that the Iranian government does not support Hezbollah:

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/2790/examining_iran_ties_to_hezbollah/

Basically, blame everyone else but the actual perpetrators, and it ain't just us.

Further, I reject the notion that anyone other than the Taliban created the Taliban. The US financed and armed all Afghans willing to fight the Soviets, just because a percentage later became members of the Taliban does not mean jack shit. I'm sure a larger percentage tried to go back to their normal lives, but we certainly don't get credit for that.

The Taliban had help, not necessarily from us though.