• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yet Another STA-21 wannabee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooooh!

Greetings all - Just wanted to say great site. Much of what I had questions on I was able to find within these forums. Now for your opinion:

I also have decided to drop my package this year. I am a ET1(SW) with 7.5 years in, all evals early promote, 5 NAMS, 1 COM and a plethora of other goodies and I just picked up Sailor of the year at my present command.
I can take the E-7 exam the next time up but know I am far too early to make that.

Those things I feel pretty good about.

The things that have me worried:
I have very low college credits obtained so far (but 3.8 gpa) and I just turned 30 in February. I am taking the ACT again in two weeks and feel pretty confident I will make the required scores so no worries there. I am interested in SPEC-OPS but really need to get my swimming up to par so for now I have only selected CORE as my option.

Do I have a chance? I know I have to request an age waiver in my statement. Will I get penalized for selecting only CORE?

Thanks

Ooooh!

I finally found a specific listing on SOCNET that stated SPEC-OPs SWCC does not have an Officer pipeline.

Time to reevaluate my options. :confused:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Warfare PIN? Most everyone at NSI when I went (Back in 93) had one and some of us had two warfare pins.....Your stats look good so far....press on!
ea6bflyr :)

Ooooh!

Forgot to mention that :) Yes I have ESWS.

Does anyone know what is meant by STA-21 SPEC OPS?

I discussed it at work today but no one here can provide conclusive information. My Career Counselor is on his way out - not much help.

Thanks

Ooooh!

Thanks for that link - Can anyone answer this question:

My secondary interest is in Intelligence since it correllates to my current assignment at a joint command.

I have heard conflicting statements that you don't have to be in the IS rate to go INTEL (such as the document found within the link provided above). But then on the STA-21 site it states you must.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks!

LoneSailor

I would think the requirements are the same, there are prior non-CT enlisted Crypto Officers in my present command. Not sure if they did STA-21 or not.

Good luck shipmate!

STA21pilot

Ooooh! said:
Can anyone answer this question:
My secondary interest is in Intelligence since it correllates to my current assignment at a joint command.
Can someone clarify?
Thanks!
According to the STA-21 brief that I attended, you have to have specific NEC's to participate in some target options. Seabee's, SPEC OPS, and Intel. There might be some other one's like NUKE also, but I don't remember. I guess OCS is the other option if you can get the degree and that's what you're interested in, I just don't think you can do it through STA-21.

STA-21 Pilot

Ooooh!

Thanks for the replies! I have found so much info on this site - great resource.

My Chiefs are already working me over trying to get me to stay enlisted.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
The limited fields for STA-21 are spec-op, intel, and seabees. Although once you get selected for STA-21 you can put in for any kind of transfer (just like anywhere else).

Case and point: a buddy of mine here at the Citadel was an ELT sub guy that got selected for STA-21 NFO, once he got here he got interested in pre-med and he now has a package approved by our CO to send him to med-school paid by the Navy. All he's waiting for now is for his grades to get reviewed and certain standardized tests he had to take to get graded.

The moral of the story is to get selected first and then decide what you want to do later. Apply for more than just core because if you have multiple fish in a barrel you're more likely to hit one.

Ooooh!

I had my ACT, CO board and Officer interviews. I was nervous because I have heard horror stories about the interviews but I ended up making an impression. 10's across the board with only one 9 from one officer. All of them put they would not hesitate to have me in their wardroom. I ended up getting a 30 composite on the ACT which is nice - I worked my *ss off on that test.
It feels like a great weight has been lifted - the only thing that remains is the third party nomination board on Monday with the package in the mail by Wed - and then some months of waiting.

The more I work for this, the more I want it.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
El Cid,

How is the Citadel?That was one of my choices for schools. Does the 10,000 cover everything?? Just curious?

SAR522

Ooooh,
There are not any prerequisite requirements for the SPECOP's option. Although to apply for the SPECWAR option you must already have NEC 5323, 5326, 8492, or 8491. SPECOPS is Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) and SPECWAR is SEALS. SWCC isn't an option through this program. I've heard that if selected for the SPECOP's option that after commissioning you must complete a tour as a division officer before attending EOD School.

Status
Not open for further replies.