• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yet Another Reason to Join BDCP

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
For all the people who just read AW for info on OCS/BDCP, figured this might be worth the read.

Using the BDCP money, I took 9 days of leave and spent my spring break pretty atypically. Instead of sitting out by a pool, or sleeping in until 3pm, myself and 2 of my friends went to Europe. While out here we have seen some pretty amazing things, and it definitely opens your eyes to the world. One more reason to try to get into the program... as without the BDCP money there is no way I could have afforded the trip.
Highlights include:
Beer houses in Germany
The Autobahn
French cuisine
Paris (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dam, etc)
BEACHES OF NORMANDY (that was one of my favorite parts of the trip, definitely moving to see in person - I'll post some pictures here when I get back on Tuesday).
Brussels
Amsterdam and all that it is known for (though stay away from the 'magic brownies/cakes' and 'coffee shops' as their contents would cause you issues with your next drug test).

Not posting to brag, merely saying getting out and seeing the world is great. BDCP has given me that oppurtunity, and as I am sure anyone on AD on this forum will tell you, the Navy provides that oppurtunity as well. Plus as an added benefit, as much fun as I have had, I cannot wait to get back to the U.S.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
USAA $25,000 unsecured loan with 2% interest with no payments until 3 months after commissioning. That is practically free money.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
USAA $25,000 unsecured loan with 2% interest with no payments until 3 months after commissioning. That is practically free money.

If you default (i.e. fail to commission by either DORing from OCS or failing your flight physical etc.) the interest rate can go as high as 18%. Think carefully before you decide to get the USAA loan, they'll tell you that if you think there is a chance you could default, it would be best to wait until after you are commissioned.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I think this could turn in to a "Things we couldn't have done without BDCP $" thread.... My favorites:

-2 Snowboarding trips to Whistler, BC
-2 Unbelievable trips to Las Vegas (staying in 5 star hotels both times)
-1 Trip to the Bahamas
-10 Hours of Skydiving training in a vertical wind tunnel
-Skydiving License and 200 skydives
-Private Pilot License & 65 hrs
-SCUBA open water and advanced open water licenses
-A fully funded ROTH IRA retirement account for 3 years
-A 99 Corvette

My personal favorite:
-Living it up in college.... Def: Being able to go out whenever I wanted, as much as I wanted, wherever I wanted, and buy what I wanted without having one concern about my financial welfare. It gives you the means to have a VERY comfortable time in college.

If you enjoy having a life and living it up, it's definitely the way to go. Every NROTC friend of mine kicks themselves in the ass for not having gone this route. Good times.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Could someone point me in the direction of a site to post some pictures online? After I have a site, I'll replace this post with the pictures from Normandy.

mike172

GO NAVY
BDCP sounds off the chain to use the parlance of our times. I wish the Coast Guard had something like that. Too bad their only scholarship requires my school to be 25% minority... too bad its not. It sounds awsome!!

BackOrdered

Contributor
Hate to thread resurrect but I have something to add. USAA's insurance for younger drivers such as myself has been AWESOME. Reason being, I just purchased a new car through a USAA loan (Not the super 2% $25,000 deal, I have other plans for that) and tried to set up my insurance with State Farm. $1200+ every 6 months!! I was irate because I was told originally $600, but due to an error on their part they said I was 22 and considered underaged. Mind you, the car is purchased. Enters USAA. They gave me the $600 per 6 months I wanted and matched State Farm's coverage. Just a heads up to the other younger guys out there getting a new ensign mobile and end up in the same spot.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
If you default (i.e. fail to commission by either DORing from OCS or failing your flight physical etc.) the interest rate can go as high as 18%. Think carefully before you decide to get the USAA loan, they'll tell you that if you think there is a chance you could default, it would be best to wait until after you are commissioned.

My plan is to take it out 18 months prior to commissioning (the earliest I can take it out), let it grow with interest over the next year and a half, and then use it wisely once I commission. Thataway, if something were to happen that prevents me from getting my gold bars, i'd only have to pay the 18%.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Not posting to brag, merely saying getting out and seeing the world is great. BDCP has given me that oppurtunity, and as I am sure anyone on AD on this forum will tell you, the Navy provides that oppurtunity as well. Plus as an added benefit, as much fun as I have had, I cannot wait to get back to the U.S.

Amen. I'm going to take a trip to Seattle this week coming up to visit my friend and first manager to give me a job out of high school to help pay for college before BDCP. Climb Mt. St Helen, tour the Space Needle and other attractions, all on me. It's going to be great.