• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yet another PRK question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

Hey guys. I need a favor. I talked to my Sgt yesterday about PRK. My OSO is new and I havent really talked to him at all yet. My Sgt said that PRK is IMPOSSIBLE right now. ABSOLUTELY not accepting waivers anymore for OCS/NA applicants. Now this site would have me believe otherwise. Ive pulled up some of the old threads, and checked this site http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/PRK/refractive_surgery_information.htm and find that people have had it done. What is the deal. So I need a favor. If any of you guys can ask your OSOs for me, Id really appreciate it. See if the differ from my Sgt. After not getting NFO slot, I would love to go NA. But Id need PRK. I saved the $, I could get it asap, but I dont want to take a chance if it will permenantly disqualify me. Thanks -Gavin
oh, one more thing... If I find out that other OSOs say it still is possible, but my OSO is adament about me not getting it.. what then?

BeyondLimits135

I am not sure what the Navy is currently accepting, but I did have PRK and was selected for pilot. You have to meet some specific pre-surgical standards, but it you are within the refractive limitations, you are good to go. Good luck!

kmc9280

I had PRK as well and got my waiver last Nov or so. I was just accepted for 184. My OSO has said that they may stop taking the waivers but he hasn't elaborated much since I got the waiver. I am going in for my pre-ship PFT next week sometime, so I'll ask him when I set up the appointment.

NavyLonghorn

Why would you be meeting with a Sgt. about NA stuff? It is my understanding that officers recruit for officer positions.

reapergm

Yeah, they do. But my last OSO left in July for a school in Quantico. I always dealt more with his assistant sgt. Now we have a new OSO who has been going to school for OSO. I dont know him yet, so once again, his assistant sgt has been handling all of us applicants. Hes really cool, and has been doing it for alot of years, so I trust his opinions. I just want to search all angles, and get 2nd,3rd opinions. He said it was impossible, but you guys obviously disagree. If you guys can ask your OSOs for me, Id really appreciate it. I dont want my OSO to think Im going behind his back or anything.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Right now the pipeline is SO BACKED UP! SNA billets are not as easy to come by right now for that reason. So I heard (not 100% sure though) that right now they are not accepting people who need waivers since they are overloaded right now. If you want the real answer contact NOMI in Pensacola. They are the ones who will have the real answer.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.