• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

YET another ASTB question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyBoyChris

Don't be to scared this is an easy one. I got a 43 total on my ASTB. I am good to go for SNA, but with those scores do i have a chance??? that's it, only question. thanks Chris

take care thanks

spidrwmn

Do you mean 43 for your OAR? Because I thought the rest was broken down into smaller numbers ( ex: 4,3,4)?
Maybe someone else should jump in here. . .

- spider

Tahoe

quote:
Don't be to scared this is an easy one. I got a 43 total on my ASTB. I am good to go for SNA, but with those scores do i have a chance??? that's it, only question. thanks Chris

take care thanks

I wouldn't worry too much, depending on how your grades are in college-that's key. (at least that's what they tell me)

-dave

JTD

The only part of the test that you could get a 43 would be the officer aptitude rating which is scored between 20 and 80. All other parts are scored between 1 and 9. As for the importance of the ASTB, it is the heaviest weighted part of your package. Check out this website it will tell you a good deal about the ASTB. http://navyrotc.mit.edu/www/aviation/astb.stm

FlyBoyChris

WEll my GPA ain the best in the history of higher learning. Right now it's asitting around 2.74, but it's coming up FAST. Just last semester it was around 2.4. I am a A or B student i just didn't get off to a good start. Should i retest ?

Chris

take care thanks

JTD

I have heard of more than a few people who have gotten SNA designation with 2.5's and lower. Grades are important but realize they are only part of a large package.

spidrwmn

What is considered a good score? Also, what is considered a good GPA ( I have almost a 3.6)? Thanks!

- spider

Dave Shutter

We bounced this discussion around a few times before, about what's accepted when they have openings to fill.

spidrmwn: A GPA above 3.5 is pretty much solid (depending on your major though, no one seems impressed by my 3.68 in Film and Media Arts) providing the rest of your app. is passing. Not to cut up on anyone, cuz God knows I don't have room to talk, but a lot of people with app's that would have been laughed at five or ten years ago have gotten in. Bottom line: when the Navy (and military in general) is hurting for warm bodies in uniforms they take what they can get, just like any other organization, and apparently they are still hurting for pilots and just dying for NFO's. Granted; it doesn't mean you won't have to work just as hard as previous generations to get make it to the back end, it just means they open the flood gates a little wider to fill holes. The fact that I'm still on my little chase is proof of that. Take what you can get.

...my 0.02$

D

spidrwmn

Dave,
While it is still fresh in your mind, any hints about the test? Is there more math than english?
Oh, and by the way - CONGRATS on your retake!

- spider

bpikula

Dave,
While it is still fresh in your mind, any hints about the test? Is there more math than english?

Hey Spider, I took the test quite a while back, but I do remember a lot of the material. I also remember a lot of sleepless nights, wondering if I had what it took or how hard the test would be. I was always under the impression that you had to be a Georgia Tech grad with a 4.0 in Chem Eng. to even be considered. Man, was I wrong. No offense to anyone on the forum, but the test is not as bad as you think. I would say there are 3 or 4 grammar related questions. They are all reading comp. Ex: What sentence best summarizes the main idea of the following passage?.......Really! That's all there is to it. Concentrate on the math/mech comp. That is the "meat" of the test. I think there are about a hundred copies of the USMC study guide floating around. Nothing you see on the test, and I mean nothing will be any harder than what is on that study guide. To be honest, after it was over I felt pretty stupid about worrying so much. It really is not that hard. I was a civil eng major for 3 years, so that may have helped me understand the math and mech comp sections, but if you study the USMC material and relax while taking the test you'll do fine. Try to work smart, but quick. They don't give you a lot of time. If they did everybody would pass. Answer the ones you know and come back to the others. I finished every section but the spatial apperception or whatever it is. You know, the airplanes and horizons. I sucked that up, but I had time to go back during other portions of the test. Just a hint... Anyways, if you all have any specific questions just e mail me. I'll be more than happy to help. Oh yeah, one other thing. My GPA was only a 3.2 and I scored a 55 on the OAR. Not the greatest, but my recruiter pratically guaranteed me an SNA slot. He never made me interview and pretty much took care of all the paperwork. All I did was test get my transcripts and wait. Let me sum this up, they need pilots. Need 'em bad, if you qualify (3,3,4 & 40) with a decent GPA you are golden!

Edited by - bpikula on 07/20/2001 15:45:51

spidrwmn

Thanks for the info! My recruiter keeps telling me to relax too, so I guess I will take everyone's advice and chill a bit.

- spider

Dave Shutter

As for the test: there are two different tests (form 1 and form 2) I think form 1 is the easiest, form two seemed to be mostly graphs and geometry. Definitely bone up the geometry, ie: make sure you can do questions 18 and 22 as well as 26,27 28 and 29 in the USMC guide! Heres an example of a problem that's killed me twice: they give you the dimensions of a box filled with water, a stone is dropped in and the water goes up a given ammount, how big is the rock in cubic centimeters? Another fun type that showed up twice; they show you a square and give you the length of a side, then there's this little trianlge that takes up a piece of the square but points outside of it: what's the area of the triangle?

quote:...Let me sum this up, they need pilots. Need 'em bad, if you qualify (3,3,4 & 40) with a decent GPA you are golden!

Well by that rational I should be memorizing my "big three"! I'm definitely in that boat score wise, I already have my med-waiver and pro-review board recommendation in my app-on-file, so we'll see?

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 07/23/2001 01:39:29

spidrwmn

Thanks for the info! If any thing else comes to mind, please let me know.
Dave - Good luck with everything!!

- spider

Status
Not open for further replies.