• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Year Long Wait for API

draad

Graduated TBS in April 2010. Original start date was late November. Recently pushed back to December, then January.......AND NOW APRIL?! Okay, the wait really doesn't bother me because I'm being productive (flash cards of API ELOs: done, been flying the t-34 Sims constantly to prep for primary) but what I AM worried about is a scenario where the Marine Corps will decide "we just flat out have too many SNAs waiting for API, let's send a large portion of them to the re-designation pool." There haven't been any rumors about this, but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it happening? If they simply raised the NSS like the Navy did, that would be fine because then one still controls his or her own destiny, but I'm worried about a situation where that might not even happen. Thanks in advance guys.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Graduated TBS in April 2010. Original start date was late November. Recently pushed back to December, then January.......AND NOW APRIL?! Okay, the wait really doesn't bother me because I'm being productive (flash cards of API ELOs: done, been flying the t-34 Sims constantly to prep for primary) but what I AM worried about is a scenario where the Marine Corps will decide "we just flat out have too many SNAs waiting for API, let's send a large portion of them to the re-designation pool." There haven't been any rumors about this, but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it happening? If they simply raised the NSS like the Navy did, that would be fine because then one still controls his or her own destiny, but I'm worried about a situation where that might not even happen. Thanks in advance guys.

Seriously? Flash cards of ELOs? What T-34 sims are you getting time in? I am starting Primary ground school on Monday and have yet to even see a T-34 sim... You are wasting your time. Go out and have a life.

As far as re-des boards go, don't do anything stupid and you will be fine. That air contract you have says you'll get a shot at API. They will ask if anyone wants to do something else is the Marine Corps, and a few take it, but they aren't going to force you into something else.

AJB37

I wonder what this wait means for the Alpha and Bravo guys coming down in January? .... Maybe we can just extend the language training we are doing now....

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I wouldn't worry about Primary at this point man, but if you have to do something to prep for it, I would say memorizing EP's or even learning systems would be more useful than flying a sim on your PC.

Although, flying a sim on your PC is a computer game which is probably infinitely more fun than memorizing EP's.

I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a shot at API though. The Marine Corps brought you in because they needed "X" amount of O-3 pilots "Y" amount of years from now.

VINNYNY

"I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a shot at API though. The Marine Corps brought you in because they needed "X" amount of O-3 pilots "Y" amount of years from now. "

Unfortunately, the Marine Corps has over-accessed for the last eight years. They probably have 200 more SNAs than they need in the pipeline. The official announcement came out this week that all Marine pilot candidates in API will be subject to a "two strikes and you're out" policy. Although the NASC Skipper still has final authority, Marines with two API academic failures will most likely be attrited in accordance with MATSG's request.

VINNYNY

If I were waiting for an April report date to NASC, I would be working on my private pilots license. The alligator closest to the boat is IFS and lots of students are failing the Jeppesen ground school exams. We're also seeing lots of stage check failures. Anybody who manages to validate out of IFS will be ahead of the ballgame...

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
^^ Absolutely.

IFS, at some points, was harder than parts of API (NSS notwithstanding) for a lot of studs, myself included. You're learning a whole ton of stuff in a very short time period that you've probably never done, and then apply it very quickly in a graded environment. Everyone stresses API, but IFS can get you if you're not ready for it.

For a lot of us, prior to API, that was our first (or second, if you're OCS) academic firehose. Get familiar with flying real airplanes and it'll save you TONS of trouble. I wish I had the money prior to IFS to do so, and maybe would've skipped IFS altogether.

And also...

Sir,
Is it true that IFS students still have to sit in the computer lab for X hours a day doing those Jeppesen courses? I remember it was hard enough doing those from home. I can't imagine being stuck in the building that long in those chairs they have up there. It was much easier when those computers weren't working and we could do the work from home. At home we could pace ourselves and give use the breaks we needed in the middle of all that work. Made it a ton more manageable.

81montedriver

pilot
If I were waiting for an April report date to NASC, I would be working on my private pilots license. The alligator closest to the boat is IFS and lots of students are failing the Jeppesen ground school exams. We're also seeing lots of stage check failures. Anybody who manages to validate out of IFS will be ahead of the ballgame...

Sir are you implying that the students should spend their own money to gain a PPL? Because if that was the case I would have to disagree with you here. IFS may be tricky if it is somebody's first experience with flying, but it is not impossible. API was definately harder. Anyone who puts in the appropriate amount of study time can pass IFS and putting in additional time on your own dime is not worth it. Yes you will have more flying time initially but it is not worth spending $5000. In addition, once you get to primary, you will be taught how to fly completely different from how you were taught in IFS. It is merely a screening process, meant to determine whether or not you have the aptitude and the stomach to fly on a regular basis.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Not to intercede beyond my limited knowledge, but the way they're doing IFS now is making it more difficult than it was even when I was doing it, which was earlier this year. It shocked me how many studs were struggling with IFS once the program was changed to make students sit in the comp lab all day, not to mention now you can't take the stage exams at home anymore. It surprised to see so many people failing stage exams.

What does it take to exempt from IFS? I have seen that it used to be achieving a cross country solo was necessary to exempt. Now I'm hearing word that all it takes is a solo? I have solo'd but haven't done a cross country yet. I was planning on getting a few free more hours from IFS so maybe I'd get my PPL whenever I wanted to. Also are there any signs that the wait for API is starting to clear up at all?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
What does it take to exempt from IFS? I have seen that it used to be achieving a cross country solo was necessary to exempt. Now I'm hearing word that all it takes is a solo? I have solo'd but haven't done a cross country yet. I was planning on getting a few free more hours from IFS so maybe I'd get my PPL whenever I wanted to. Also are there any signs that the wait for API is starting to clear up at all?

Yes, it's true IFS is only up to a pattern solo now. But to clear yourself from doing IFS you need your PPL or better. So you have to do more than you would in IFS now.

Looks like I'll be taking advantage of the free hours courtesy of the US government. Regardless of how much it's become a kick in the nuts recently, I'd prefer not to drop more money in the pursuit of a PPL. I would think that doing IFS would be a nice break from the waiting, as well a taste for what kind of study habits are necessary for API. It's only a few weeks long isn't it? Would it really be that much of a leg up when the wait for API is anywhere from 8 months to a year?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
The PPL is good for one thing, and one thing only. The $100 hamburger. :)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I say save your money and let Uncle pay for that shit. Is it hard? Yeah sure, but it's not like things get easier after IFS.

If you have that kind of money burning a hole in your pocket, go pickup a nice watch. You're going to be a goddamn Naval Aviator. Dress like it.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I say save your money and let Uncle pay for that shit. Is it hard? Yeah sure, but it's not like things get easier after IFS.

If you have that kind of money burning a hole in your pocket, go pickup a nice watch. You're going to be a goddamn Naval Aviator. Dress like it.

Hey, if you've got a problem with my Casio, I might have to have words with you.