• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Year Group Damage?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So I was one of the guys back in 2007 that switched from NFO to Pilot. I commissioned in 2006 and sat around Pensacola from Sep. to May before starting API, while the guys in my OCS class that were already SNA classed right into API, and are now winged. I will be getting winged as a LTJG, while the other guys in my class are still ENS. I know the NOB doesn't matter, but when I get to VP-? I will be the older LTJG.
Will this affect my chances at promotion down the road (O-4/O-5) when I am in the tank at the selection board?
Thanks!

MasterBates

Not really. Being a year senior is not that big of a deal. When it becomes an issue is for retreads and the guys who went to NPS or another Master's program. (and even then, not that big of a deal).

Just don't get an adverse FITREP as a ENS or JG and you should be good. You will still be a LT when you leave your fleet tour.

Random Task

pilot
When it becomes an issue is for retreads and the guys who went to NPS or another Master's program. (and even then, not that big of a deal).

How exactly does it become an issue? I am in a masters program right now and was wondering how it might affect me. I'm doing the masters before flight school so assuming all goes to plan I should be just under one year behind as my program is only one year long and my detailer said (taken with a grain of salt of course) that I should have very early orders to IFS/API as I won't have to deal with all the "getting in the navy" paper work that other graduating ENS will have to do.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
epps - are you a Rhodes/Marshall type? I hope the Navy looks after you better than the Army did us. I did my masters before flight school, which took up all of my LT time because the Army promoted my YG to O-3 early due to "needs." I did not get the assignments I needed to set me up for success, and ended up spending way more time on staff than any young officer should. But, luckily I had a couple senior warrants looking out for me who managed to get me a lot of flight time and I caught up while no one was looking. I just feel like I have been punished for getting a scholarship - I have even had O-6s tell me it was my decision, and I should have known it would hurt my career. Kind of screwed up when getting two masters (one in Aero Eng nonetheless) can HURT your aviation career. I hope you guys dont experience the same thing - one of the guys I was in England with was from USNA and headed to Pensacola.

/threadjack

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
x2. You should NEVER be penalized for getting a Masters degree. That's pretty messed up, especially in a military that is looking for ways to keep the talented people in longer.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How exactly does it become an issue? I am in a masters program right now and was wondering how it might affect me. I'm doing the masters before flight school so assuming all goes to plan I should be just under one year behind as my program is only one year long and my detailer said (taken with a grain of salt of course) that I should have very early orders to IFS/API as I won't have to deal with all the "getting in the navy" paper work that other graduating ENS will have to do.

I have seen several guys in my career who have gotten a masters right out of college as an O-1. I have yet to see it hurt any of them, it was their performance in the squadron that mattered, in all cases.

OH-58's deal is a little different, and more Army specific. Since regular officers (while nearly all in the Navy are) are in the minority in Army Aviation and now that they have accelerated promotions, there are going to be different career expectations. It also helps that there is quite a bit of variance in how long it takes for people to get through Navy flight school, even in the same community and especially ones with NFO's. Just because I showed up to my squadron 12 to 18 months before the pilots from my YG did not give me any advantage over them, and we were all ranked against each other in the end.

Don't worry about it at all, unless you are the guy who takes 5 years to get through flight school. And even he got a DH slot in Prowlers (RAG tour too I think), good guy....bad luck.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the gouge is to keep career tracking you need to be in your DH tour at YG plus 11 years, so there might be some juggling to keep you competitive. You might have to roll off your first shore tour a bit early, or have a shortened disassociated tour. Depends on if you're interested in making DH and beyond.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I think the gouge is to keep career tracking you need to be in your DH tour at YG plus 11 years, so there might be some juggling to keep you competitive. You might have to roll off your first shore tour a bit early, or have a shortened disassociated tour. Depends on if you're interested in making DH and beyond.

This is pretty much what I was told by my front office/detailer. The big wicket is the return for DH. I showed up at my fleet squadron as a LT and I should still be able to make all the milestones.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

My ultimate goal in the Navy (other than CNO, of course;)) is to eventually have command of a P-3 squadron. With the loss of the Maintenance Officer position, I know the Ops O is the big DH wicket filler. I'm thinking by getting an MBA at my first shore tour I can avoid the year at NPS and "catch up" a little. I will probably still have some work to do to get the JPME wicket filled, but that is pretty far down the road for me as of yet.

I guess my immediate goals are obviously get winged, get through VP-30, get my mission qual in the P-3, and then do some good work leading in the squadron. I figure that should lead to the fitreps I'll need to get a spot at VP-30 as an FRS instructor. From there, I'll figure out my next steps. That, I guess, will be dependant on the shape of the fleet at the time (2012'ish) and what the detailers/senior O's have to say. My guess is the career path to command is fairly constant through time, with some waggle room after the FRS. It seems to me that most guys I saw getting command were doing their year at NPS and their dissassociated (sp?) sea tour after their second op tour with the squadron.

Maybe some of you salty guys have a better idea for me, but this, so far, are my tentative plans.

I'm sure something I haven't thought of will jump in there at some point to change it all anyway (IA, etc.)

MasterBates

You forgot the stabbing other JOs while a LT and throwing JOs under the bus as a DH.

Other than that, your plan looks good.

es101js

pilot
I guess my immediate goals are obviously get winged, get through VP-30, get my mission qual in the P-3, and then do some good work leading in the squadron. I figure that should lead to the fitreps I'll need to get a spot at VP-30 as an FRS instructor. From there, I'll figure out my next steps. That, I guess, will be dependant on the shape of the fleet at the time (2012'ish) and what the detailers/senior O's have to say. My guess is the career path to command is fairly constant through time, with some waggle room after the FRS. It seems to me that most guys I saw getting command were doing their year at NPS and their dissassociated (sp?) sea tour after their second op tour with the squadron.

Wow, thats a pretty in depth plan, bz, im only on the lets get through this next event plan and see where it goes from there. I would say there might be some other speed bumps such as family and the new mma coming online whenever they think it is going to be avail, etc. etc.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I'm thinking by getting an MBA at my first shore tour I can avoid the year at NPS and "catch up" a little. I will probably still have some work to do to get the JPME wicket filled, but that is pretty far down the road for me as of yet.
Get the MBA through Webster University in Jax. http://www.webster.edu/jack/ It will take you 14-18 months. NPS=Naval Postgraduate School.....You are thinking NWC-Naval War College. http://www.nwc.navy.mil/admissions/gdp/Default.aspx Do the JPME classes that are held in major Navy cities Jax, DC, Pcola, San Diego. Those classes last about 9 months each and meet once a week for 3.5 hours. The first year, you can only do one of the core classes, the second year, you can double up and do the other two. That gets you complete in 2 years. Be advised that the classes rotate in the location you are taking them so if you are PCSing, do your homework about what classes to take when. If you PCS or IA it, the profs will 85% of the time work with you so that you can still complete them with a B- or better. You get 7 credit hours for each class (3= S&P, NSDM, JMO, need B- or better). These are the core courses that are required for JPME 1. The NWC also offers free electives. International Relations is a 4 hour online course, International Law is a 4 hour online course, and you can do a 1 credit hour directed research (thesis). That equates to 30 hours of coursework. Here is the CNO giving me my degree on Friday!

Attachments

• Me and CNO.jpg
    Me and CNO.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 125

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Here is the CNO giving me my degree on Friday!
It's horrible when your opinion of someone on AW is shattered when you finally realize that you already know them.:D