• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yaw Strings: Who's got 'em?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had never heard of this hi-tech device. On a D-model Tomcat? For real?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaw_string
For the nonaquainted
Not stringing you along. :D

F-14 maintenance guys didn't like that mach-2 yaw string. It was difficult to replace. And it seemed everytime the radome was closed after any work on the radar, the darn yaw string would get caught, and the radome had to be re-opened to free it. :(

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
BTW, anybody here ever fly an aircraft with a "yaw string"?.... Maybe it was a only Grumman thing.... although I don't think the A-6 had one, did they?....
Dunno ... is that one in the left side of the picture .... ??? :D

dsc01999smallvt7.jpg

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot

dsc01999smallvt7.jpg

I always thought that curved thing was the gun.

mp44-4.jpg

Grumman took the idea from ze Germans... you know, so you could shoot over the trees when 500 kias and sub-treetop level! Right, A4s?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

dsc01999smallvt7.jpg

Dunno either ... But does 'that nose thang’ bend-and-wend-in-the-wind?

Or does it just obstruct vision and give us obnoxious fighter pilots some sharp verbal arrows to throw at our light/medium attack brethern, who seem to thrive on "no slack." Eh,.....?" :D

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I thought a yaw string was something akin to relative bearing grease, or looking for the mail buoy or a couple of pounds of nos tep.

who knew they were real!?

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
I flew (and instructed in) an Air Force TG-10B glider which is the exact same thing as a Blanik L-23. Those were equipped with yaw strings. From an instructing standpoint, I thought they were great for showing students proper coordination, slips, rudder effects, and adverse yaw effects.

Didn't really do any of that weapons delivery stuff though...haha

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Foriegn 'copters

Frenchie Red Bull RC copter

Don't bring that euro-trash in here! One of my friends thinks the HH-65/Dauphine is the greatest thing since sliced bread and it makes me sick. Sure it's pretty (for a helo) but its underpowered and French. Three strikes in my book!

OT: What's the consensus on the VH-71? I've always been a fan of the Merlin.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't bring that euro-trash in here! One of my friends thinks the HH-65/Dauphine is the greatest thing since sliced bread and it makes me sick. Sure it's pretty (for a helo) but its underpowered and French. Three strikes in my book!

Actually, that's not true. The American version used to be underpowered because they were American engines. The French version had much more gusto. Now they've been re-engined and "better." Talking w/ -65 guys, they say it's still Tq limited (unlike something like the -60), but it's improved. I'm sure there's several -65 guys here that have real info.

Rubiks06

pilot
Actually, that's not true. The American version used to be underpowered because they were American engines. The French version had much more gusto. Now they've been re-engined and "better." Talking w/ -65 guys, they say it's still Tq limited (unlike something like the -60), but it's improved. I'm sure there's several -65 guys here that have real info.

Yeah but the nose goes the wrong way when you pull collective..:D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah but the nose goes the wrong way when you pull collective..:D

Agreed. It's also amusing to hear a HITRON pilot tell you about what they have to go through sitting right seat when they pull the trigger. No thanks. Well, okay, I'd still probably enjoy it, but it's still amusing.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Agreed. It's also amusing to hear a HITRON pilot tell you about what they have to go through sitting right seat when they pull the trigger. No thanks. Well, okay, I'd still probably enjoy it, but it's still amusing.

I had heard a story about a coastie who went to fly 65s, and on his first auto went "down, right, idle, turn" out of habit and scared the crap out of the crew.