• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

XM or Sirius

Status
Not open for further replies.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Have any of y'all used either XM or Sirius? I'm interested in how good they sound and how well they work.

twidget

Deskaholic
I've had a factory XM for about a year and the reception, sound quality, and selection are excellent. I also got an aftermarket add-on XM for my other car a few months ago. The installation wasn't too difficult, even with an external antenna mount, but the quality is not nearly as good as the factory model since it has an FM modulator to xmit to the in-dash unit. Some of the things I really like about my new unit are the stock/score ticker, 30 minute replay, automatic notification of favorite songs/artists on other channels, and the fact that all the MLB broadcasts are included in the basic subscription. It was only another 6 bucks a month to add a second radio.

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
I got the XM Roadie and have no complaints except the only reason I got it was because Stern was supposed to go to XM. Now he is going to Sirius. Oh well.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
XM factory, big fan comedy is good news when I want it and good music

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got Ben that portable XM unit and he really likes it. It's the one that you can plug in to the home unit, the car, or you can just plug headphones into it and take it on a work-out. It's pretty neat and the reception is much better than what I expected. The guy at Best Buy said that Sirius has more sports channel options, so if that's your thing, that might be something to consider.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
Anyone hear use an MP3 player or anything similar in the cockpit?
Lots of Prowler guys have one of those FM transmitter things (irock) that you plug in to your MP3 then just let the aircraft system pick it up, but I suppose the rest of you could use some kind of earbud. Earbuds are also good to use as a mic to pick up ICS/radio on your camcorder.

Brett

perchul

I like where Sirius is going content wise, that being said know this. Legislation was passed quite awhile ago which required sattelite radio companies to have interoperable hardware, meaning your supposed to by any kind of sattelite compatible radio and then choose your content provider; obviously this is currently the case but somehow Sirius and XM or both supposed to find a way for the current units you buy to meet this standard.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I have had XM for nearly a year... and I am getting to the point where I want to either pay up a couple years so I only have to pay like 9/month (discounted from about 10/month) instead of the new price which is 13/month effective April 2nd. I have had no real complaints with XM, listen to it all the time, but I hear Sirius isnt the joke it used to be. Hard decision, but I think I am going to just renew my XM instead of buying a new unit and switching to Sirius.

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
I have sirius and I like it a lot. A few of my friend have xm and its pretty good too. The main thing is for football games they cover different conferences for instance sirius covers the SEC and ACC and a few others (and Navy if you follow them) and XM covers the Big Ten and a couple others buy not sure exactly which ones. I think that sirius has a little better programming on their mainstream type channels also. My friends with sometimes complain that they hear the same songs to much. It pretty much comes down to who has the programming that you like because they are a little different. Also, I think they both have like a free 3 day trial online where you can listen to the radio online and if you don't like it after 3 days then you just don't sign up for a contract.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
yesterday I bought sirius, both the stock and the radio. XM's stock didn't look too appealing and sirius' selection of non-pop non-rock is appealing to me. (don't forget the playboy channel).

It's a good deal because I think it will take over the radio market as cable/dsl has taken over dial-up, how cd's have taken over tape, dvd's VHS (betamax???).

reception is pretty good in rush hour traffic and when surrounded by trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.