• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

XM-25 Heading to Afghanistan With Green Berets

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Per the URL below.....The Army is set to deploy the XM-25 Individual Airburst Weapon to a unit from the Special Forces who will take it with them to Afghanistan “this summer.” This marks the first real-world use of the Starship Troopers-esque gun that fires a “smart” 25mm round which can explode in a pre-programmed proximity to a target.

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/2010/05/xm-25-heading-to-afghanistan-with-green-berets.html?wh=wh#ixzz0nBguXBqf

Be sure and watch the video clip

Sure wish our guys had something like this in Fallujah

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I know full well that the look of a weapon does not dictate how well it will perform in combat.... But....

That is the ugliest weapon I have ever seen... Even more so than the Aug.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I know full well that the look of a weapon does not dictate how well it will perform in combat.... But....

That is the ugliest weapon I have ever seen... Even more so than the Aug.

I thought that as well. That camo is butt ugly. May as well paint it orange and get it over with. Nasty round though.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Aww, the AUG is a beautiful weapon up close. I'd carry one of those any day. The XM-25. . .yeah, not so much. Especially not in ACU flavor.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
The only problem I have with it is that in its current setup is that's range limited. It's no different than in Vietnam when the grenadier had to carry around the M-79. As wonderful of a weapon as it was, and as many different types of rounds as it could fire, it still limited the targets that soldier could engage. He either had to carry a separate weapon, or rely heavily on his team/squad to protect him. Neither solution is really adequate, hence the M203. If they were to mount this under the barrel of the M4 or SCAR, it would be significantly more practical. Although I haven't operated as special forces, I have been in my share of firefights where this weapon would have been a great benefit. It's nice to see some weapons programs moving forward, even if they'll take 30 years to trickle down to the ordinary guys on the ground.

And yes, they look much better when not in ACU. . .like every other thing on this earth.

Lawman

None
It wont be Painted ACU when they actually take it.

And somewhat related to that, all Troops going to Afganistan are currently being phased over to MultiCam. The Special Forces guys are already using is as well as several Brigade Combat Teams that just went over.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor

And somewhat related to that, all Troops going to Afganistan are currently being phased over to MultiCam. The Special Forces guys are already using is as well as several Brigade Combat Teams that just went over.

Yeah, I have a friend from one of my previous deployments wearing it now. He says it's the same old crappy (not durable) uniform, but at least it blends in. As someone who has about 10 pairs of ACUs sitting in his closet, I'm glad the Army finally realized that one pattern does not fit all. I just wish they would have done it before I decided to join the Navy :) Yes, it costs more money, but if it can save a life . . .

On a separate note . . . Some of you may have seen this picture before, but I love it. It's one of the few places I've seen the UCP (the camo design on the ACU) blend in.

25802_727483734771_17019719_4114542.jpg

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

I like MultiCam. That stuff looks good and performs from what I've read about it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I have a friend from one of my previous deployments wearing it now. He says it's the same old crappy (not durable) uniform, but at least it blends in. As someone who has about 10 pairs of ACUs sitting in his closet, I'm glad the Army finally realized that one pattern does not fit all. I just wish they would have done it before I decided to join the Navy :) Yes, it costs more money, but if it can save a life . . .

Why the hell do you have 10 pairs of ACUs?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Looks fine when it's not painted ACU.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35703177@N00/4097699857/

More importantly... sounds like a really functional and badass weapon. Like something out of a video game. Laser finds distance to target, then you can dial it to explode where you need. Science fiction becomes reality...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose...

To me this looks like the prototype for some kind of pneumatically powered dildo with laser sight.

I'm a huge HK fan, but their recent products have been less appealing to my eye than say the G3, UMP, G36, or the SL8

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Why the hell do you have 10 pairs of ACUs?

While deployed, you have access to an internet based system that allows you to order uniform items on a monthly basis. What can I say, I used all the money I was alloted every month to buy a lot of uniforms. I have a few pairs of the A2CU, the FRACU, Coveralls, boots, etc. If the Army is going to give me money to spend, I'm going to spend it.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Why settle for the 25mm round when you can have a 76mm one instead....

Daddy wants one.

I've fired a 66mm LAW several times without it knocking me on my ass. Obviously, so has everyone else who's ever fired one. Other than a slightly larger (or different) projectile, what's the benefit of the High Impulse Weapon System? Lack of back blast?