• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Xd(m) .40

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
.40 ammo is not cheap. That's about as much as I can contribute since I bought a glock.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
nice counter to the oprah fiasco :icon_wink

The XD .40 is niiiice.

Shot a friend of mines a few times right after he bought it. If you want a solid compact handgun with good capacity and reasonably (I use the time figuratively of course these days) priced ammo, go with the XD .40

Personally, I have small hands so It's hard to find a double stack that I really like and fits well, but the ergo on this handgun is pretty good.

Final Summation?

BUY IT

that is the only answer you will/should get here ;)

Bevo16

pilot
I would put it in a solid #2 position behind the M&P in the polymer handgun market, ahead of H&K and Glock.

The one thing that I didn't like about it is the 1911 style grip safety. I don't see that it serves any real purpose in that kind of gun, and all it does is create another point of possible failure, not to mention a nice hole in the grip so grit can get in and jam the mag in place.

Everyone is going to have their opinions, so shoot them all.

Here is a pretty decent review:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/polysh_032707/

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I've shot it. Definitely a cool gun, felt good, was nice overall. However, I'm not entirely convinced that the grip safety is a worthwhile feature. It's not a big deal but they seem to me to be an excessive feature that just gets in the way more than anything else.

Still, good gun.

Bevo16

pilot
.40 ammo is not cheap. That's about as much as I can contribute since I bought a glock.

Not only is the ammo more expensive than 9mm, it is equally hard to find. If I was going pick a chamber based on price and availability, it would be .357 Sig. Every Wal-Mart within 50 miles is totally sold out of ammo, except for .357 Sig. They have boxes and boxes of that stuff, and it's pretty much the same price as 9mm.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor

obviously there are some geographical factors that have come into play a lil for ammo prices..

I am not looking forward to moving south... Guess I'll have to start stocking up while I can ;)

WEGL

I got the XD .45 Tactical a couple years ago as a commissioning gift. I'm no gun nut so I can't give you all the technical hooha but I like this gun. I shoot fairly often, mostly with my little .22 plinkers due to ammo costs these days, but I can shoot my .45 just as well. It has a good balanced feel to it I like. I had some concerns at first about the grip safety but I've come to like it. It has never gotten in my way, and I don't notice it anymore. Also, I like the fact that I can have 14 rounds at the ready, which is even more than the .40 carries I believe. I know springfield has come out with the XD(m) but honestly I'm not up to speed on what differences that entails, I'd guess only a few small ergonomic changes.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Shot the XD-45 and XD-40. I loved the 45, only liked the .40... but I've generally found that I dislike .40's. For some reason, I can shoot a .45 all day but the .40's I've shot cause red marks/bruises at the web of my hand after unloading ~20 rounds.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not only is the ammo more expensive than 9mm, it is equally hard to find. If I was going pick a chamber based on price and availability, it would be .357 Sig. Every Wal-Mart within 50 miles is totally sold out of ammo, except for .357 Sig. They have boxes and boxes of that stuff, and it's pretty much the same price as 9mm.
I can't believe I'm hearing those words in anything approaching seriousness. A year ago, .357 SIG was the redheaded stepchild of the pistol world . . . "It's too expensive, it's too weird, it'll never last. Blah, blah, blah."

Not that I'm complaining; it's fun as hell to shoot.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I have an XD in .45. I've had one faulty (aftermarket) magazine issue, and no other problems. It's easily one of the most comfortable pistols that my carnie-sized hands has held. That's likely all personal preference, but you get the picture. Even my wife, who has some of the weakest wrists in the shooting world, shoots it reliably and accurately.

And locally, I've seen almost nothing BUT .40S&W available. .45 ACP and 9mm...not so much. I even had to resort to my stock of .45 Auto Rim for my Nightguard.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I still go back and forth on the .40 S&W .... I've got some -- some would say "several" ... but I keep askin' myself: WHY???

Mebbe I should just sell 'em all and concentrate on the .45 ACP ... ???

Keep things simple?? Dance w/ the one that 'brung ya' .. ???

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I still go back and forth on the .40 S&W .... I've got some -- some would say "several" ... but I keep askin' myself: WHY???

Mebbe I should just sell 'em all and concentrate on the .45 ACP ... ???

Keep things simple?? Dance w/ the one that 'brung ya' .. ???

I think it's fun to switch ammunition from time to time.

Plus this way when Z day hits, you'll have options available :D

ZekeBathory

Doe-eyed Hopeful
I own the XD .45 ACP. In short, it's ultra-reliable, very comfortable in the hands, and has an intuitively simple design. I'm sure the other calibers can't be too far off. It gets my vote.