• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

X Country

BrittO

pilot
well..yes another post sorry!...just curious as to when during training (for meridian) X countrys happen and where can u go, how many to people get?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Radio Instruments, Airways Navigation, sometimes Instrument Rating, Operational Navigation. Those are the typical cross country opportunities. You can go wherever they let you go... I've been to Louisville, KY for RIs (Kentucky Derby! Highly recommended!); Austin, TX for ANs (highly recommended too!), and Roanoke, VA for ONAVs (360 knots through the mountains at low level, good times!)

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Go west for ONAVs.....the 1266, 289, 299...etc are all incredible routes and the wx is almost always great...think Willie Gateway in Phoenix to a weekend in San Diego...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's also the "million dollar ride:" You can make it out to Whidbey if you use all your late stage airnavs PLUS all your ONAVS PLUS a couple extra legs for the IP. Supposedly you will be doing 3 X's a day for 3 days but you get to fly the VR routes through the Cascades which are money. Tried to go this route but it didn't fly.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
There's also the "million dollar ride:" You can make it out to Whidbey if you use all your late stage airnavs PLUS all your ONAVS PLUS a couple extra legs for the IP. Supposedly you will be doing 3 X's a day for 3 days but you get to fly the VR routes through the Cascades which are money. Tried to go this route but it didn't fly.

Unless things have changed in the past month or two, they won't let you do this anymore. ONAV/AN XC is out of the question now. So going out west or going to Whidbey is impossible. That's why so many of us have done the Roanoke trip, for east coast it's good mountain flying.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Unless things have changed in the past month or two, they won't let you do this anymore. ONAV/AN XC is out of the question now. So going out west or going to Whidbey is impossible. That's why so many of us have done the Roanoke trip, for east coast it's good mountain flying.
Must be a VT-7 thing. Got approved for a mini ON/AN to Fort Smith and another to PA this weekend to finish up. And was in serious talks with several IPs to go Whidbey but couldn't work out the schedule quick enough for Ops who wanted the X's. Buddy of mine was going to San Dog until weather rolled in.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Must be a VT-7 thing. Got approved for a mini ON/AN to Fort Smith and another to PA this weekend to finish up. And was in serious talks with several IPs to go Whidbey but couldn't work out the schedule quick enough for Ops who wanted the X's. Buddy of mine was going to San Dog until weather rolled in.

Interesting, my roommate (VT-9 guy) was denied an ON/AN XC. Who knows, sh!t changes all the time.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Try going to an airshow in Canada. This is some of the best times you can have out of Meridian.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
pilot_man said:
Try going to an airshow in Canada. This is some of the best times you can have out of Meridian.

Story time. How'd you pull that one off?

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Let's just say that there are some IPs in 9 that beg studs to go there with them, year after year, for good reason. They know how to take care of us American fly-boys.:icon_wink

kray1395

pilot_man said:
Let's just say that there are some IPs in 9 that beg studs to go there with them, year after year, for good reason. They know how to take care of us American fly-boys.:icon_wink

Noted.

I tried to get some of the IP's to think about taking a T-44 to an airshow in FL. I figured it would be a good time. Free food, lodging, and transportation is what they advertised for the aircrews. No one bit though. They all wanted to go to their respective hometowns and see the family. Hopefully T-45 land will be different. I'll have to look at airshow schedules in Canada.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kray1395 said:
Noted.

I tried to get some of the IP's to think about taking a T-44 to an airshow in FL. I figured it would be a good time. Free food, lodging, and transportation is what they advertised for the aircrews. No one bit though. They all wanted to go to their respective hometowns and see the family. Hopefully T-45 land will be different. I'll have to look at airshow schedules in Canada.

There are definitely chances in T-45 land. I did a static display in Fort Smith weekend before last. However . . . CARDINAL RULE! He who wants good grades will pick the IP over the destination.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Fort Smith? That's not a XC, that's an out-and-in :)
I just happen to be the undisputed king of 3-X weekends, that's all.

IP: "Well, I want to get home so we'll just one-leg it back."

Spin

SNA in Meridian
X Country Summary

Me: "Appch NAVY 123 Info Echo Request"

Appch: "123 do u want what the T-45 ahead of u requested"

Me: "Well ... what did he request"

Appch: "High VOR followed by Tacan, followed by vectors to ILS followed by vectors to ASR"

Me: "NEGATIVE request ILS vectors to final appch course FULL STOP"

Instructor to me: "Above for head work"