• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

X-51A Scramjet Flight

yak52driver

Contributor
I did some searches and couldn't find any posts on this yet, so apologies if this is a repost. The USAF, DARPA and other agencies successfully flew the X-51A, a hypersonic scramjet powered aircraft that flew under power for over 200 seconds. The previous scramjet record for powered flight was 12 seconds. There are three more flights planned in the fall. The aircraft is initially powered by a rocket that gets it up to speed so that the scramjet can ignite. Pretty cool flight technology.

http://www.afmc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123206524

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Awesome. Cue the Popular Science articles about flying 1000 pax NYC - Sydney in 20 minutes...

FLY_USMC

pilot
Until there's a person in it they can send my grill to Mach 10 and I wouldn't give two shits.

yak52driver

Contributor
Until there's a person in it they can send my grill to Mach 10 and I wouldn't give two shits.

I hope at some point in the future there is a person in it and given the chance I'd like to be one of the pilots to fly it. What a rush flying that fast and that high.