• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

X-49A Go's Ahead on HighSpeed 220Knot Tests

CAMike

None
Contributor
Saw this X49A clip today. In lieu of our present economic situation and improving on existing technology -this set up might actually fly. The dash speed of 220 Knots tests are just on the horizon. Spec Ops/SEAL Team applications? Thought I'd share the link to the video. Hopefully the ducted fan noise can be reduced. Your thoughts? Is this a dead deal before it even starts?

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blog...79a7Post:e44b7412-5c09-4b48-80ac-3d3f5b563a48

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
The Black Helicopters are out there!
tinfoil-hat.jpg

That sure did look unwieldy on lift off

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Reading the press releases and such it supposedly requires less torque in a hover and less torque at a given airspeed versus conventional tail rotor. The extra airspeed would be nice for NSW inserts/extracts and not that we'll ever do one, but CSAR as well. Plus look at the wing area, maybe it would convince the Navy to finally pull the trigger on forward firing ordnance. (Not likely)