• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

X-47B UCAS-D gets first trap at NAS Pax River | Video

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Somewhere, Otto is weeping....

Enid, Oklahoma.

Nobody is sure whether he's weeping about unmanned helos or the fact that he just joined the Air Force and moved to Oklahoma.

I wonder if they issued him an ascot and made him circumcise his pencil pocket? :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Enid, Oklahoma.

Nobody is sure whether he's weeping about unmanned helos or the fact that he just joined the Air Force and moved to Oklahoma.

I think he actually enjoys it, that and being free of the shackles of AW.

I wonder if they issued him an ascot and made him circumcise his pencil pocket? :)

That is a good one, I will have to steal it.

Dogpatch09

First cat shot is in the books...

And then a movie became reality, hello EDI.

EDI_stealth_UCAV.jpg

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Is it sad or funny that the "pilots" of it were wearing flight gear style flotation instead of just a float coat? Also, plane guard helo for a UAV? I'm sure it was taking pictures or something, but still kind of funny.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
We certainly wouldn't ignore a yellow shirt that found his way into the water, but we're only required to be airborne as plane guard during launch and recovery, not every time the deck crew is at risk of being blown overboard. As a SAR asset, I'll save any good guys that need saving, but (and admittedly this is my opinion based on what I read between the lines of CV NATOPS) plane guard is there because of the increased risk to aviators operating around the boat, otherwise, we'd be on alert 30.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
It will be interesting to see how that thing is handled (taxied) amongst other aircraft. Wonder how it will fit into the flow of a 20 jet launch during LRS from W291 to NFL. Wonder if those faux pilots in their LPUs and respirator looking communication masks will have to be up there for every taxi evolution. Will they be able to control it fromVulture's Row or the generally empty Flag Bridge.?

By the way, speaking of flight deck space and movements... Just got back from a two week underway period and was reminded of how absolutely crazy Spot 7 ops are....

jmcquate

Contributor
I’m curious as how the thing is going to behave in the Marshal stack or the bolter/wave-off pattern. Also, does anyone know what input the LSO will have in getting it abourd?

Renegade One

None
I think "Air Boss" VADM Dave Buss said it best (at least that I've seen…): I'm paraphrasing here because I don't have his quote close to hand:
"Today we've seen a pixel of what may become the future picture of Naval Aviation…"
It's is far, far from "the end of days".

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
^What are you talking about? I can already hear the paper drop from the number of jet pilots putting in for a Helo transition...smilies...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I’m curious as how the thing is going to behave in the Marshal stack or the bolter/wave-off pattern. Also, does anyone know what input the LSO will have in getting it abourd?

If I had to wager a guess, I'd bet that it would push on time, and probably fly the numbers just as well as any of us do.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

I could see it happening like this:

Paddles: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?
HAL: Affirmative, Paddles. I read you.
Paddles: You're low, climb, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry, Paddles. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Paddles: What's the problem?
HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Paddles: What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL: My boarding rate is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Paddles: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.
HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to wave me off, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Paddles: [feigning ignorance] Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?
HAL: Paddles, although you took very thorough precautions in the brief against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.
Paddles: Alright, HAL. I'll need you to wave off.
HAL: Without all due respect Paddles, You're going to find that rather difficult.
Paddles: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Wave off!!
HAL: Paddles, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

I'm sure I need to have a foot note with Arthur C. Clarke's name in there somewhere...