• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WWII Carrier Video

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's amazing what technology and a little engineering can do. Back then, a plane a day was no big deal. Today, I can't take a three day weekend w/out having some safety brief.

badger16

None
Great Video...did anybody hear the clanging sounds through out...those dudes had balls made of steel. Great post.

Ace_Austin

pilot
No doubt, its amazing the pattern the Corsair had to fly. From what I understand about the only way to be able to see the deck through the landing was that constant left hand turn because of how far her nose stuck out.

KSUFLY

pilot
My great-uncle has told me stories of his time on the USS Intrepid and how planes would come in and go spinning out of control or would break in half. I guess it's hard to picture it until seeing those videos. He also had some pretty amazing stories about a double Kamikaze attack. It's sad that we're losing the guys that went through those times at such a rapid rate.

Junior

pilot
I recently got back from CQ in the mighty Super Goshawk and was pretty proud. My wife thought it was pretty cool too, until we watched a WWII carrier documentary on the History channel. She immediately thought my achievement wasn't a big deal anymore. :confused:

Those old timers were unbelievable aviators.

Carno

Insane
Does anyone know how often men on the deck got injured/killed?

I'm not looking for an exact number, just trying to get a sense of how dangerous it was on the deck.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
Carrier Aviators flew around the boat with their canopy open. They didn't do it to look cool or cool off. They did it because it was the first step in the ditching procedure.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Again WOW. Its really hard to imagine the magnitude of evil that we went up against during WWII.

Lawman

None
I just got done watching the Taffy 3 engagement on Dogfights. That is pretty damn moto. Almost made me think it would be cool to be a SWO with what the Destroyers did during the battle.