• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WTT: G1 Jacket Size 42 for 44/46

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I have a mid-1990s issued G-1 jacket that I'm looking to trade for a slightly larger size.

Overall condition is good. I would have called it "excellent" if it weren't for the "modifications" done by a previous owner: the zipper wind flap was cut off and the velcro patch was also removed. The leather on the bottom of the arms near the cuffs shows some wear, but is otherwise great.

The knit cuffs and waistband are all in good condition.

I love the jacket, but I'm getting older and fatter, and I'd simply like to trade this size 42 jacket for another G-1 in size 44 or 46.

I'll pay the shipping for both if anyone is interested.

Note the missing velcro patch
G1_01.jpg

G1_02.jpg

G1_03.jpg

The missing wind flap:
G1_04.jpg

Leather wear on the bottom of the left cuff. The knit looks good, though.
G1_05.jpg

Slight wear on bottom of right cuff, and condition of the knit.
G1_06.jpg

HackerF15E

None
Just a bump for this a couple months later to see if there is any interest in a trade. Thanks!

phrogpilot73

Just a bump for this a couple months later to see if there is any interest in a trade. Thanks!
I'd love to (as I wear a 42), but I haven't gained a significant amount of weight since flight school... If anything, I'll probably be "upsizing" as well. Culinary School is not so good for the waistline.

Out of curiosity, how'd you score a G-1? Don't you guys get issued an A-2? Personally, I think the G-1 looks better...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Out of curiosity, how'd you score a G-1? Don't you guys get issued an A-2? Personally, I think the G-1 looks better...

It's been a long time since G-1s were issued to an "Air Force" unit (or predecessor). Only unit I know of where they were preferred over A-2 and available:

aahill.jpg

Those were the days...Note: numba one bad-ass "Tex" Hill nonchalantly holding a cigarette while leaning against an aircraft on the flightline....those were different days indeed.

HackerF15E

None

No, I didn't get it issued -- I'm just a dork for militaria.

I bought it to wear casually and while flying civilian/warbird stuff. Can't wear it on duty flying with the AF, naturally.

I think it's more comfy (thanks to that bi-swing back and the fur collar) and I agree with you, it looks sharper than my issued USAF A-2. The nylon liner is also nicer than the cotton one in my issued A-2 (if you can believe that!). I frequently get the same question....'what's an Air Force guy doing wearing a Navy jacket??'....and it's usually questioned in a manner that suggests that I'm some sort of poser because I'm claiming to be an AF pilot but wearing a Navy jacket.

I bought it off a separated USN pilot because I wanted to have a real issue jacket instead of a commercial copy. Unsure why he sliced the wind flap off, but the price and size were right at the time.

HackerF15E

None
As an aside, if anyone has a 44 or 46 that they want to sell (rather than trading), I'd be interested in that, too. Looking for an actual issue item only, though.

Thanks!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's been a long time since G-1s were issued to an "Air Force" unit (or predecessor). Only unit I know of where they were preferred over A-2 and available:

aahill.jpg

Those were the days...Note: numba one bad-ass "Tex" Hill nonchalantly holding a cigarette while leaning against an aircraft on the flightline....those were different days indeed.

I would guess it was because about 60 of the original 100/99 AVG pilots were former Navy and Marine Aviators.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would guess it was because about 60 of the original 100/99 AVG pilots were former Navy and Marine Aviators.

Might be why they preferred it, but Chennault was died in the wool Army Air Corps type and he purchased brand new Willis & Geiger G-1 jackets for the AVG (Note the newness of jacket on "Tex" Hill who indeed was former Navy SBD pilot, but is wearing a newly issued jacket from AVG stores). At the time, pilots preferred the goat skin G-1 jacket because it didn't get stiff in cold cockpits at altitude like the horsehide A-2 jackets issued to the Army Air Corps (that became USAAF under "Hap" Arnold). "Hap" Arnold actually decreed that the A-2 be replaced in 1942 because of the stiffness and USAAF went to the B-10/B-15 jacket series with multi-pile fabric that had better heat retention characteristics and didn't get stiff in cold temperatures.

Famous ace of the 8th Air Force, Don Gentile, wearing replacement for the A-2 jacket (eliminated during WWII and only revived in 1987 as an incentive to USAF combat ready rated "aviators")

gentilegodfreysl.jpg

HackerF15E

None
Just a bump to see if anyone is interested in the trade offer, a year later.

Thanks!

I also have a USAF A-2 jacket (also size 42) that I'd be willing to trade for a larger 44 or 46 size, too.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
The jackets that get turned in to gear issue and aren't deemed suitable to re-issue are required to get the USN flap cut off before they get sold as surplus. From OPNAV instruction 10126.4C:

Ensure NASP institutes procedures to remove the inside flap of the jacket on which "USN" or any other government markings are stenciled, prior to turn-in to the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office (DRMO).

http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/10000%20General%20Material%20and%20Equipment%20Support/10-100%20Personnel%20Material%20Support/10126.4C.pdf

Authentic jacket at one time, but probably not his...​

HackerF15E

None
The jackets that get turned in to gear issue and aren't deemed suitable to re-issue are required to get the USN flap cut off before they get sold as surplus. From OPNAV instruction 10126.4C:

Ensure NASP institutes procedures to remove the inside flap of the jacket on which "USN" or any other government markings are stenciled, prior to turn-in to the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office (DRMO).

http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/10000%20General%20Material%20and%20Equipment%20Support/10-100%20Personnel%20Material%20Support/10126.4C.pdf

Authentic jacket at one time, but probably not his...​

Very interesting, thanks for posting that!

At least, now, there's a reason why that might have happened, as I've wondered for years why that thing would have been cut off. I know the guy was actually a legit USN pilot...or, at least, I certainly thought so at the time. Now I have to wonder...

I've only ever seen one or two other G-1s with that flap cut off, and thought maybe that on some type of aircraft guys removed that flap, like how in the AF fighter community we cut the shroud line cutter pocket off the flight suit.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
I've never known of anyone who cut the flap off as a matter of convenience. Also, I'm not saying the dude isn't legit, but I'd rather sell my children off to work in the coal mines than sell my two issued flight jackets - leather or green. If he said it was his own he was selling, I'd say show me proof you earned your wings.

I always wondered about removing the shroud line cutter pocket. What was the point? I always stowed a mini-mag light there.

HackerF15E

None
I always wondered about removing the shroud line cutter pocket. What was the point? I always stowed a mini-mag light there.

Fighter guys wear a G-suit which not only covers up that pocket on the flight suit, but has it's own pocket that carries the shroud line cutter.