• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WTF is with Meridian and all these damn kitties???!!!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Seriously, they travel in packs and I have run one over and almost run like 10 others over already and I've only been here a week.....anyone else have this problem or am I just crazy? They are ALL OVER :eek:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
When you go to El Centro there is a sign on the BOQ: "Beware of Feral Cats"

Lobster

Ugh, bummer you're talking about the literal kitties. I saw this and immediately thought about the other type of "kitty" :tongue2_1

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I haven't been to a single military installation (NOT ONE!) that didn't have a very robust feral cat population. I almost used healthy instead of robust, but that would be wrong. Most of those jokers are digusting. Makes you wonder if the rat guards work for cats, too.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
There's a pack of dogs I've seen around the front gate here in Krock a few times. As for El Centro, I'd be much more concerned with Black Widow population, not that I found any in my BOQ room (I was too busy freezing my ass off every time I tried to take a shower without any hot water), but I heard stories non-stop about how so-and-so found a web right over their head one morning or how someone shook his boot out before putting it on and found a few of the bastards.

Bevo16

pilot
Seriously, they travel in packs and I have run one over and almost run like 10 others over already and I've only been here a week.....anyone else have this problem or am I just crazy? They are ALL OVER :eek:

And they say there is no pussy in Meridian!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the top of the ear is literally lopped off (aka notched)...it's a feral cat that's been spayed or neutered and released. They make good mice catchers.

tutored.jpg

FlyinRock

MID
If you recognize they are also very subject to rabies and not to be taken lightly, you may not hesitate to run over them. I learned of this while pheasant hunting in SoDakota and the locals would shoot any feral cat out in the fields as vermin. When I asked why, the rabies problem was the answer.
Same can be said of any number of wild animals though and unfortunately its hard to make a distinction. We have a cat that came up to the house from a drain/flood ditch and has been resident for several years now. We did however take her to the vet under extreme protest on her part, and had her both fixed and given the appropriate shots etc. She gets to come in the house when it goes below 15C and is seemingly well behaved in return.
If I see a pack on the road though. I'll not swerve to avoid.
We get possums and racoons on the deck at regular intervals and love to watch them. Strange cats get run off with extreme prejudice. how strange is that? However, if the possum or coon acts strange, it gets terminated on the spot for fear of rabies.
Semper fi
Rocky

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Buy yourself a .22 and some primer-only rounds. They're subsonic, and only slightly louder than a powerful air rifle, if that. I occasionally use them for overhead fire when my dogs go after squirrels in the back yard. Kind of like a support-by-fire position.

Feral cats also carry a variety of other nasty illnesses. ...And they smother babies. So take them out with a smile on your face.

(I don't actually use them for overhead fire, btw. They don't cycle my wife's Walther properly, so I can't get any appreciable rate of fire.)

TheGreatWaldo

pilot
MID
However, if the possum or coon acts strange, it gets terminated on the spot for fear of rabies.
Semper fi
Rocky

Just a little factoid: Opossums almost never carry rabies. Rabies are more common in people than opossums. I was dumb enough to try to pet one hanging out in a garbage can when I was real young. The animal control guy told us that opossums don't carry rabies. I believed that for a long time until I looked it up and found that it's just really uncommon for a possum to carry rabies.