• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WSO vs. ECMO

matteo

I am new here, and I'm interested in being an NFO. I am going the Marine Corps route, and have a couple questions. How many student NFO's are in a class when it comes time for aircraft selection? How long is the pipeline for ECMO vs. WSO? Does the fact I have already been to SERE as enlisted in NAS Brunswick give me a better chance of picking first, (because I can move on in training faster)? And lastly, when ECMO's are walking out to their mission aircraft, do they call shotgun to ride in front? (<---joke)Thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And lastly, when ECMO's are walking out to their mission aircraft, do they call shotgun to ride in front? (<---joke)Thanks.

They can try. ;) That's usually determined before the brief and usually on the flight schedule. SERE will have zero impact on anything, except that you wont have to do it again.

Brett

matteo

What about the SERE deal, does that help me any come selection time? Tell me something crazy like I'll have to go again.

Crowbar

None
How many student NFO's are in a class when it comes time for aircraft selection?

It varies.

lance criminal said:
How long is the pipeline for ECMO vs. WSO?

About 1 year vs. 15 months (post API).

lance criminal said:
Does the fact I have already been to SERE as enlisted in NAS Brunswick give me a better chance of picking first, (because I can move on in training faster)?

No.

What about the SERE deal, does that help me any come selection time? Tell me something crazy like I'll have to go again.

No. And no.

matteo

Thanks for the quick feedback. Am I crazy, or does NFO seems like a much better deal than being a pilot...when it comes to aircraft selection at least?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the quick feedback. Am I crazy, or does NFO seems like a much better deal than being a pilot...when it comes to aircraft selection at least?

Depends on your service and whether you like helos or not.

Brett

MasterBates

Both have Helos and NFO.

Just no NFO's in helos. If you go Navy and select HSL or HSM, its pretty close (to being an NFO).

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They can try. ;) That's usually determined before the brief and usually on the flight schedule. SERE will have zero impact on anything, except that you wont have to do it again.

Brett
What if you've been through nuclear power school? Will that help you get your first choice.