• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wso To Pilot

RHINO GIB

Hey everyone, new to the site. I'm a RWSO at the Rhino rag and wondering if anyone knows how to get the ball rolling for a transition to pilot. I have seen the navy has brought back the program on a limited basis, but I'm wondering what I can do now to get the process started.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
STEP 1: Finish the rag,
STEP 2: Go to npc.navy.mil look under officer assignments then aviation then NFO-PILOT
STEP 3:Have good Fitreps (is do a good FVcking job in the squadron)
STEP 4: Make sure all your FITREPS say NFO to pilot in the recommended assignment block, and also in the writeup portion....
STEP 5:Get 3 letters of recommendation
(skipper, commodore, and Flag officer if possible)

STEP 6: Put in a package (basically a medical eval, an application letter, and your 3 LORs)

STEP 7: STFU about it until you have completed at least a year in the squadron..you don't want your immediate reputation to be ...this guy just got here WTF...ie: Earn your stripes...
Shouldn't #7 actually be #1?

pittflyer

This is why I can't get into Grad School
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
Shouldn't #7 actually be #1?

Yeah...you can't really do 1-6 without #7 first. You could "quietly" work on 1-6, but don't shoot yourself in the face as soon as you check in to your new tour.

RHINO GIB

Thanks

Thanks For The Replies. Sounds Like Good Advice. No Hurry Anyway Still Havin A Blast In The Backseat.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Bad Idea

Take a Solid WSO and make him an average and more senior than his peer group Pilot = A waste on money... Go Pilot route or accept that you have taken a different route. I know it is my first post... Feel free to unload but I have been around long enough... I got more night traps that most of you have any!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Boom Boom said:
Take a Solid WSO and make him an average and more senior than his peer group Pilot = A waste on money... Go Pilot route or accept that you have taken a different route. I know it is my first post... Feel free to unload but I have been around long enough... I got more night traps that most of you have any!
I generally agree. While I did have a Skipper who was a NFO-Pilot retread, life is generally harder on those who choose to go that route, especially from a promotion/upward mobility perspective.

As for the blah, blah, blah night traps. :sleep_125 ;)

Brett

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I new a Boom Boom once. Was a big UF fan with a Gator head in his office. The location of this office was in the deep south.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Boom Boom was what the girls in the Phillipines wanted 20 bucks for. "Hey Sailor, you want boom-boom. Very good last long time. I treat you right .20 dolhar!"

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Sorry Dave

Good News...Bad News.. Bad News=Not same Boom Boom... Good News=I know you... Not many EOD retread, Horse owners out there! :p

BigRed389

None
HAL Pilot said:
Boom Boom was what the girls in the Phillipines wanted 20 bucks for. "Hey Sailor, you want boom-boom. Very good last long time. I treat you right .20 dolhar!"

Were they still "girls" back in your day?