• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WSO questions

swiftylax

Hey everyone. I am about to finish intermediate and am looking to select jet aviation. Wanted to get any insight that I could on determining which route to go. Prowlers or Rhinos??? Any advice on how to think about selecting which route for Navy would be great. I appreciate it.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Rhinos

Hey everyone. I am about to finish intermediate and am looking to select jet aviation. Wanted to get any insight that I could on determining which route to go. Prowlers or Rhinos??? Any advice on how to think about selecting which route for Navy would be great. I appreciate it.

Rhinos will give you more flexibility on where you can live. Also, you won't have to worry (as much) about competing against so many NFO's for a seat in a Growler squadron when the time comes.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rhinos will give you more flexibility on where you can live.

The other side of the coin is you have a 50/50 chance of ending up in Lemoore :eek:

Also, you won't have to worry (as much) about competing against so many NFO's for a seat in a Growler squadron when the time comes.

That's not the issue for direct inputs out of flight school as much as it is for the "excess" ECMOs currently in Prowler squadrons that will face reduced NFO manning in Growler squadrons at more senior levels. Better to be at bottom of pyramid than further up.

swiftylax

thanks for the tidbits. what about job wise, i mean is the wso a lot more workload than ecmo??? any help there

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rhinos will give you more flexibility on where you can live. Also, you won't have to worry (as much) about competing against so many NFO's for a seat in a Growler squadron when the time comes.

Not a factor at all. And to echo HJ, the 50% chance of ending up in Lemoore would scare me away. Whidbey isn't the cosmopolitan hub of the universe, but it rocks nonetheless. Bottom line, regardless of what route he takes, the OP will end up in a SH airframe eventually.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
thanks for the tidbits. what about job wise, i mean is the wso a lot more workload than ecmo??? any help there

You're not likely to find an answer there as Navy (and Marine Corps) will squeeze as much performance out of you as they can regardless of warfare community/platform.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Hey, I select between the two this friday (wx permitting). If you have any questions, feel free to come over and ask any vt-86 instructors for a better view.

Lemoore is pretty bad, but fresno is pretty good.

gotcha. appreciate all the help fellas

If you had picked the AF you could have gone to F15E's or B1's way better then either Whidbey or Lemoore

You could have gone to well........................

Boise :irked_125 or Kansas :indiffere or Texas :thumbdn_1 or Missouri :fight_125 WAIT maybe you are in the right spot after all.

:D

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
This place is a 3 hour drive from Lemoore...
pro44.jpg

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
If you guys practiced that more you might improve you A/G accuracy numbers a bit :icon_lol:
There it is, the secret to AF bombing accuracy is squatting to pee. BTW, I know of a certain Viper pilot who missed her DMPI (A Palace) and dropped the damn thing in the pool! SHE lazed the damn pool!