• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Writing an LOR About Yourself

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Hey all, I have a former 0-5 that is willing to write me a LOR, but requested that I draft the first revision myself for him to review, polish, then sign. I've never had to really objectively evaluate myself; so don't really know where to start. Did anyone ever get a request like this? Any tips?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Hey all, I have a former 0-5 that is willing to write me a LOR, but requested that I draft the first revision myself for him to review, polish, then sign. I've never had to really objectively evaluate myself; so don't really know where to start. Did anyone ever get a request like this? Any tips?

Yes, many people get requests like this. Start off by making a list of achievements, awards, etc. That should help you get going.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Asking for info is standard for a LOR. He/She may be asking for a draft since it will contain the info you wish to be included. 2B gave a good idea about turning in a list of accomplishments and facts you would like included in the draft.

But, if the person requested a draft (and he/she is helping you out by writing and LOR for you) I would recommend you send his/her a draft.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If it's someone you don't know well, but went to talk to (I went to a professor who was a Marine Col A-6 driver to talk about his career; he asked me the same thing), that's pretty standard. No big deal. I just wrote about some of my achievements and my drive and motivation to learn about the Navy/Military/Aviation (by going to see him) and my outlook. Worked out well for me.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
This is pretty standard for many kinds of LOR. Many, if not most, college profs who write letters of rec for jobs or gradute programs want a draft to work from. Not only is it less work for them, it also gives them an idea of what you want to emphasize, and it reminds them of your qualifiactions and experiences.

You can use The Google to get templates and there are tons of them which, with minor adjustments would work quite well. I'd advise you to actually put a good amount of effort into it because it's possible much of your content will be used, and because if he senses you half assed it, he might do the same. You can't expect him to care more about it than you do.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
That is good advice, I'll start with that, thanks. I had yet another professor get back to me agreeing to write one but asked me to write my own draft. Now the difficulty will be to make them not sound the same!

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
That is good advice, I'll start with that, thanks. I had yet another professor get back to me agreeing to write one but asked me to write my own draft. Now the difficulty will be to make them not sound the same!
Had 2 of my LORs that were done this way. One was a coworker of my mom's who is a retired LCDR and the second a retired Major but was an instructor of mine at the police academy. Pretty easy to keep them from sounding the same actually.