• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Writing a Thank-you letter?

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Does anyone know what the Navy format for writing a thank-you letter is? I've searched the SECNAVINST 5216.5D, but can't find a format. It only gives tips on how to write the letter. I am trying to write a few thank you letters to some of my former CO's who helped me out recently. Should I just use standard letter format without SSIC/Code/Serial/Via and Encl. Thanks in advance for any help.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know what the Navy format for writing a thank-you letter is? I've searched the SECNAVINST 5216.5D, but can't find a format. It only gives tips on how to write the letter. I am trying to write a few thank you letters to some of my former CO's who helped me out recently. Should I just use standard letter format without SSIC/Code/Serial/Via and Encl. Thanks in advance for any help.
Just get some nice paper and type it up in standard business form. You can even get some nice stationary and hand write it if your handwriting is legible. All those references and things you mentioned are for official correspondance, and are not required or even encouraged for what you are doing.

cisforsmasher

pilot
I think that may fall more under personal correspondence. I am definitely not a etiquette guru so wait for another reply or two. I have referenced a book they gave me on I-day more than once.

http://www.amazon.com/Service-Etiquette-Fourth-Oretha-Swartz/dp/0870216201

basically it says write it within a week after you have received a gift or favor. If you were a guest at a house, address it to the hostess but make sure to mention the host when appropriate.

(date)
Dear Mrs. Doe,

1. Thank you for...
2. A sincere comment concerning the occasion, an expression of appreciation, a comment concerning mutual interest.
3. Looking forward to you again sentence
4. a thanks again and request to be remembered to the host and/or any other members of the family.

Sincerely,

Pretty common sense but I am sure you can tailor it to your needs.