• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Writing a book about AOCS, NAVCAD's & MARCAD's

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Whatever happened to GYSGT Dozier?

IIRC, he was famous for spot-correcting the drivers of cars passing too close/too fast to formation runs during morning PT.

(But in reply to your question, I don't know.)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I do recall that and I do remember him spot correcting me in the middle of the road as well as in the chow hall. He taught me how to do hop and pops. I made the fatal error of looking at the DIs in the mirror when I was in the tray return line. That was spot corrected too.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Pugs, hate to be the bearer of bad news if you did not know but several of the DI's who were at AOCS when you attended have passed away recently:

First Sergeant Rick Bowling died a few years ago. He was about 52 yrs old as I recall.
First Sergeant Danny Hawks died 4/20/2010 at 59 yrs of age.
Major Tiburtius Gerhart died 4/1/2004 at 46 yrs of age. He had only been retired a couple years.
GYSGT Bernie Jones died back in 2006 as I recall MGYSGT Jerry Holtry telling me.

I have your class photo in high resolution scanned if you would like a copy. Contact me at aocs.stories@gmail.com

I busted a poser pretending to be from 09-87 three months ago. His name was Joseph Anthony Rossi who is down in Birmingham AL. He called me and the red flags started going up in three minutes and every few minutes thereafter. I also happen to have several years worth of class graduation rosters. Call me sometime and I will tell you the rest of the story.

I was 06-87, SSGT Snow, USMC, so most of those names are familiar to me. I'm sorry to hear of the deaths of these fine Marines. Then-GYSGT Gerhart was just getting ready to head to warrant officer school near the end of my time at AOCS. He was probably the most feared of all the Drill Instructors at the time, exemplified by the nickname that my class had for him: "the Antichrist."

CAMike

None
Contributor
I started in 21-84 (GYSGT Washington) and ended up commissioning in 22-84 (GYSGT Crenshaw). Both were kind fatherly figures with fine listening skills, much like the loving GYSGT Goforth.

Seriously- I have a great Indoc Week story that is burned into the graymatter of 25 or so commissioned officers of AOCS Class 20-84. The event involved multiple people. "Candidate Beaver" (a female of short stature), an unnamed LCDR (female) and GYSGT Crenshaw who was temporarily babysitting for GYSGT Washington that morning, and a poor little squirrel perched on a branch of a tree in front of the chow hall. I still don't know how we all kept our MIL bearing- even at that early stage of training. I'll email you at the aocs.stories@gmail.com address with the specifics.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
NAVCAD, Class 20-89. Staff Sergeant Jimenez, United States Marine Corps. He retired as a SgtMaj and wrote an outstanding LOR for me when I transitioned to the Marine Corps (via Black Tuesday, 1990).

The Assistant Chief Drill Instructor then was Gunnery Sergeant Kent, United States Marine Corps.

I hear he's still in.

Cobber

None
I was in Class 42-86, SSGT Snow, USMC.

First Sergeant, I think it’s a great idea for a book and wish you the best of luck. I’ll try to put to words a few of my memories and email them to you. I too am saddened to hear about the premature passing of the other DIs from my time there.

Here are a couple memories:

In one of my first times in the chow hall I was making my way to my table, tray in hand, when someone stepped in front of me. I pivoted, took a step, and came to a stop right at the edge of the DI’s table. One of them looked up at me and said: “What the f**k is this, guess who’s coming to dinner?”

We were lined up outside the DI’s office on a pay day. SGGT Snow wasn’t there, so GYSGT Gerhart (we called him "The Evil One") was handing out pay stubs.
Candidate: “Sir, this candidate did not receive a pay stub.”
GYSGT Gerhart: “What do you want me to do boy, shit you one?”

First Sergeant

Killin' and Drillin' YUT!
Great memories Warrior. I keep hearing that term "The Evil One" from you candidates. I'm glad to hear he earned it.

I have a high resolution JPEG of your class photo. Looking at the class roster I assume you are Bruce Cobb? I can send that to you as well. Why don't you contact me via my book E-mail aocs.stories@gmail.com

-John Crouch

Rich Collier

My name is Rich Collier, Class 37-73. My DI was SSgt Perry. I was the Class officer and Reg Commander. I completed flight training in Jun 1976, went to LSO School and on to VF-101 F-4's. Retired Sep 01, 1991 from VF-101 F-14's.

orionflyer

My name is Jeff Harrison, class 30-89, BATT II. My DI was GYSGT Scott Woodring and our class officer was LT. Howard. I did primary and intermediate flight training with VT-2 and advanced prop training with VT-31. I did my sea tour with VP-47 Golden Swordsmen and my shore tour with VT-10. I am trying to locate former GYSGT Woodring and chat with him. I think he grew up in the PA area. I lost all 4 engines on my P-3 orion one day and had to ditch the aircraft off the Oman coast on March 25, 1995. I wanted to thank GYSGT Woodring for the pressure cooker that he put me under. It helped out that miserable day. All crew members survived. No injuries. Thanks for the help. Have a few good stories that I will forward.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember that mishap. I was on duty in Soto Cano when we got the word. Are you writing about that incident and all the career stuff leading up to it, or is this a more general book on AOCS, etc? Reason I ask is that it seems like there have been a couple guys cruising though here writing a "my experience in AOCS" type books.

Look forward to hearing your tale. It can't be any worse than "Born to Fly." :D

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Jeff,

Welcome to Airwarriors. I had just completed VP-30 and DH school with Mark prior to his leaving to join VP-47 on deployment. That was some awesome flying on you guys part.

Here's Jeff's story posted on vpnavy.com some years ago: http://www.vpnavy.org/vp47ditch.html

orionflyer

Jeff,

Welcome to Airwarriors. I had just completed VP-30 and DH school with Mark prior to his leaving to join VP-47 on deployment. That was some awesome flying on you guys part.

Here's Jeff's story posted on vpnavy.com some years ago: http://www.vpnavy.org/vp47ditch.html

Thanks so very much. We definitely had a very lucky day considering all the problems that we had. Every day since then I have considered a blessing. We came so very close to death's doorstep that day. Thanks again. Hope someone knows Gunny Woodring.

Chuck Chandler

I'm Chuck Chandler, AVROC class 246-72 the first time around. My DI was SGT Johnson and the Batt NCOIC was SSGT Watkins. One day we were all in our rooms, having just gotten back from chow. I heard SGT Johnson walk into the room across the passageway from mine and holler "CANDIDATE, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?" I couldn't see in the room, but I heard him holler back "HEMORROIDS, SIR!". To his credit, SGT Johnson did make it back into the passageway before he doubled over laughing. He tried very hard to not be heard. He failed.

Another time, ADM Thomas H Morer, Chairman, JCS came down to review the Battallion. SSGT Watkins seemed really nervous. When the order was given "EXCERCISE THE BATTALLION", I was standing at attention close enough to hear him say under his breath, "Side straddle hops... Ready... Begin".

After graduation, I came back to join AOC class 02-74. SSGT Penn and SGT Perry were our DIs. My commissioning picture shows me saluting SSGT Call, but I don't remember him other than that. After commissioning, I passed him and said "Good afternoon, Sir". He told me "Sir, you don't have to call me sir anymore, Sir".

In my experience, the DIs at Pensacola were among the most dedicated and professional men I worked with throughout my service. It was an honor to know you.