• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wrist watches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
well, i have a timex ironman watch on right now. it's pretty nice, like you can get lap times and stuff like that.

turbospider2k

I was thinking of just getting a cheap timex chronograph until you had to go and say that....

I think I'm gonna end up going with the seiko snd253. Kind of a mid-range pilot watch. I like the ecodrives, but they're just too expensive.

BTW - I'm not one to normally go and buy $150 dollar shoes or $250 sunglasses. I'm making an exception in this case.

Crowbar

None
The Ironman seemed to be really popular at Marine OCS. Everybody (including me) had one of those damn things. Of course, that's my "work" watch. My "dress" watch has one of those snazzy two-tone gold/silver bands with a white face and my college logo on it. Yeah, it makes me look like a jerk-off, but I love the SEC!

cod17

Hey Crowbar, which SEC school did you go to? I attended LSU for awhile. As for the watch debate, don't get one of those Nike running watches, it was great for 2 years, then the battery went out. It works fine now, minus the alarm, and the band broke away from the face and there is no way to fix it. So this topic was helpful considering I am in the pre-OCS watch market. And one more thing, can anyone tell me what in the world is a "NAVY TYPE BLANKET"? It's in my OCS checklist, but I don't know exactly what it is or if I need it.

Undertow

I've got the eco drive skyhawk and it's a great watch. My only bitch about it is that the face glows really brightly in the dark for about an hour and then dies out. The other negative is that because it's light powered the power save option comes on quite a bit. Last, the secondary displays are unreadable in the dark. However, for a daytime watch or in low light it's a great watch, that looks real pretty;) If you don't want to spend the cash, get a good G-Shock.

Undertow

I've got the eco drive skyhawk and it's a great watch. My only bitch about it is that the face glows really brightly in the dark for about an hour and then dies out. The other negative is that because it's light powered the power save option comes on quite a bit. Last, the secondary displays are unreadable in the dark. However, for a daytime watch or in low light it's a great watch, that looks real pretty;) If you don't want to spend the cash, get a good G-Shock. Oh, one more thing, if you want a "NAVY TYPE BLANKET" and want to be a super geek, get an OD or Gray wool blanket that's what they issue us enlisted guys during your stay in the barracks.

dustydog

pilot
There are more important things to worry about besides which watch to wear. Buy something cheap and it will serve you well. I promise you that someone will put together a watch buy on your first cruise, probably a Breitling or and Omega, and you can get your oversized pilot watch then. That's how I got my over priced, over sized, but really nice piece of titanium.

reapergm

Yeah man, I have an Timex Iron man... Its awesome. The band is metal and black, so It looks like a non-digital watch. Paid about 40$. It lasted through everything. Got it at Sports Authority. As for why people spend money on expensive watches and eyeglasses.. I can never spend more than 10$ on eyeglasses because I will lose or break them, Im notorious for that. Watches are different. I asked my friend, who bought a Movado watch for about 700$(I think that price), why he would do something that insane. He said that you're either a watch person or you're not. If you are, you wear a watch everyday and feel naked without one. Why not just buy a good one that will last a long time. I guess he made a good point with that. Or maybe you're Flava Flav of Public Enemy and wearing an expensive watch around your neck is your callsign!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yup, Dustydog pretty much somes it up. I got mine, too, and it's a nice piece of gear. Patience, young nuggets-to-be...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How'd you guess? Heheh, we can rehash the whole chat dialogue...

turbospider2k

Been playing with it for a few days now and I'm definitely impressed. It can do pretty much whatever a standard e6-b can do (not that hard to read, either), with the exceptions of true altitude and airspeed and density altitude (if it CAN do these things, i haven't figured it out....).

Only a few complaints: the watch doesn't come with a manual for the e-6b, I had to use the manual from a real e-6b to learn the functions. Of course, if you've ever used a flight comp, you wouldn't need the manual.
The 36 index isn't marked. You learn quickly enough where it should be, but low-light could be difficult.

Overall I love it. Very cool watch, and for what I paid it was certainly worth it. REally built to last, and the stopwatch is just soo damn cool. Weight is pretty good, too. Just took a few days to get used to seeing it there. Highly recommended. Might want to look into the snd005 as well; don't know what the difference is, but it costs more, so it must be cooler.

psrogers

Intel Officer
Suunto makes some bomb digital face watches. They are not 'pilot' watches but they still kick ass. Those, along with Swiss Army watches are all that we recommend at REI.
The H6XR is a sick one for about $450. It's the ultimate weekend warrior/mountaineering watch. Heart rate moniter for PT, altimeter, barometer and barometric memory for forecasting, compass, timer, and other cool features are the reason for the price. You can get them for cheaper of course, this is the primo model. I'm going to buy one, but, hehe, I get to 'prodeal' it for about half price. They also make special sailing versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.