• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wrist watches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevincjr1

Does anyone know of any good wrist watches out there for OCS and even after OCS while serving my time as a officer in the Navy. I haven't worn a watch since the beginning of high school..I have just depended on my cell phone or just asking someone. One wathch that I have seen that really caught my eye was a watch by Citizen. It is called the Blue Angel Skyhawk Flight Chronograph. You can find it on the Citizen website, It has the blue and gold colors of the Navy and does just about everything and then some. But it is expensive :(. Could be a great graduation present from OCS.
Thanks in advance for any responses.
Kevin

schmuckatelli

Well at OCS you won't really need a watch except for when you are section leader and once you are a candi-o. As for flying I just have a $20 Timex. Your aircraft has a clock in it and with gloves and long sleeves it is much easier to just look at the clock than it is to try to see a watch.

I like my Navy SEAL Watch. It can be got for fairly cheap and it's LIGHT, which is a godsend for me since I don't take it off every 30 minutes or so.

Oscar

E-2C Rag Student
I swear by G-Shock. Every other watch I've had, the band couldn't hold up to being worn during PT. I've had my G-Shock for 6 years now, and haven't had to replace the band or battery.

turbospider2k

In the same boat here - going down to riddle in a month and i've gotta get at least SOME cool gear (to impress the 17% of the population that doesn't have a penis, of course). Been looking at the seiko line of professional pilot watches - perform all sorts of slide-rule calculations (fuel consumption, time/distance calcs., conversions) - it even tells you what time it is! The price is right too, anywhere from $150 to $400 new (don't know what the differences in wqatches are), half of that on ebay....

A breitling would be great, but I don't have that kind of money....

olpa9901

Been there, (PNS) Done that.
Price is right for a watch thats 400 new? Good grief, buy a fossil and then a digital kitchen timer from walmart...thats all you'll ever need in the cockpit of your Arrow or 172 (Whatever riddle is flyin these days.)

Meridiani

Originally posted by turbospider2k
going down to riddle in a month and i've gotta get at least SOME cool gear (to impress the 17% of the population that doesn't have a penis, of course).

I'm sorry, but I just GOTTA through down the B.S. flag here. I don't believe there's a woman ANYWHERE that's gonna be impressed by the size of your watch.
eyebrows_125.gif
icon_smile_wink.gif

turbospider2k

B.S. flag accepted. It's all about compensation (not that I have anything to compensate for).

BTW - $150 - $400 is MUCH better than the $1500-$15,000 that a Breitling goes for.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't even bother wearing my watch on the outside of my gloves. Olpa and Schmuckatelli are right about getting a cheap watch. There's no reason to buy something that expensive (only to lose later). Of course, my roommate does boast about how Breitlings are accurate to within 15 seconds for an entire year... as for me, I just reset my watch every daylight savings. Is it really that big of a deal? I have a $40 casio that works just fine. The only real advice I'd give is to get a watch with dual time (one for local and the other for zulu... just so you don't have to do the quick math). I guess that's the only advice I have.

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
Buy a G-shock for 20 bucks that has a stop watch and an alarm. The stop watch will come in handy for chow hall procedures.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
I don't get the "pilot" watches either. I admit they look cool, but thats about it. They have an E6B built into the face, but its so small it would make it impractical to use for your calculations during flight (ground speed, fuel consumption rates, true altitude, etc). My full size E6B is tedious enough. They do look cool though.

?????
Most pilot watches I've seen both look like something old fogeys wear and look like they're freaking heavy to boot. I sweat a lot, so heavy metal watches get kinda nasty feeling after a while. Not to mention that they're bloody expensive.
If you're worried about math...take a freaking pocket calculator with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.