• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wrist injury while waiting on final selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

paskez2

Hey everyone,

I posted a while back around August of last year saying that I had been rejected for SNA. I sent my application through again and was later pro-rec'd in December. I sent out my FINDOCS early February and am now eagerly awaiting word from the selection board.
Unfortunately, I recently injured my wrist and the diagnosis is that I completely tore a ligament in there and will need surgery to repair it. I've read through some old posts about "retained hardware" and past surgeries and it seems that if there are no complications from surgery (i.e. 100% motion after rehab), it may be possible to get a waiver for it.
My question is how do I go about handling this situation now? I haven't told my recruiter yet, but I no doubt will have to tell her when I hear whether or not I have been selected. This is all extremely disappointing and frustrating news, but there's no way I'm going to quit now. If anyone has gone through a similar situation or has any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Jason

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I'd tell my recruiter, after I found out that I was accepted. If you have a slot, the Navy will work with you. If they know before hand, its a reason not to give you your shot. Now, I would only do this if I knew that I'd be 100% after the surgery. Its better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. I know this reply may make some people upset, but hey. You do what you have to do. And as my last CO told me, the word "cheating" is no longer in your vocabulary.

Dave

contrail_dash

Hey I busted my wrist snowboarding durring my last application process.http://www.x-plane.org/users/jg1rathofer/Personal/screws.jpg I'm currently applying again, waivers are possible. Here's what the guys at NAMI sent me via email:

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Discomfort due to retained hardware and risk of refracture are safety of flight and mission completion concerns.

WAIVER: Retained hardware in the upper and lower extremities is Not Considered Disqualifying provided there has been resolution of the underlying orthopedic problem, that the hardware is not subject to trauma, is intact and in the intended location and does not weaken the bony structure. Designated personnel may be considered strictly on a case-by-case basis.

INFORMATION REQUIRED: Orthopedic consultation and x-rays (actual films, not just reports).

TREATMENT: Removal may be a consideration when the retained hardware is associated with the problems noted above.

DISCUSSION: Often the underlying orthopedic condition is disqualifying and of greater concern. Most implanted hardware (screws, plates, staples, wires) are used as part of an open reduction and internal fixation of a fracture. After the fracture has healed, the hardware has done its job, and should be removed if it causes discomfort, is easily accessible and there is minimal morbidity associated with the removal. Some types of hardware are used to affix soft tissue to bone (ie, knee ligament and rotator cuff repair, shoulder capsulorraphy). Removal of these is generally not indicated. Pedicle screws, Harrington rods, circlage wires and fixation plates too frequently become broken as a result of metal fatigue over time, often with disastrous neurologic consequences.

Currently I am waiting on all my medical records from my surgery to get here so I can get a review done by the medical board. I hope you don't require any retained hardware. I will say though that I agree 100% that it is better to beg for forgiveness than ask permission. ;) Do what you gotta do!

Status
Not open for further replies.