• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wrecking Young Minds at West Point

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
AWers,

I've been absent from AW for some time, to which I was rewarded with Two Boeings.jpg about a dozen antique messages in my mailbox. I apologize.

In a completely unplanned, and odd career twist, I'll be taking command of the West Point VIP Flight Detachment in June to finish off the last 3 of my 30 years. Just finished my final deployment of 15 since 2001, not including Desert Storm, Somalia, and all the WestPacs in between. I find it humorous that they selected an ex-SEAL with no Army experience except 14 years in the 160th to be the primary representative of Army Aviation to the academy. That, and I'm even teaching academic classes. I still wear my Trident above my wings, which draws several suspicious stares, but to date nobody has had the balls to say anything.

I've never ventured north of Virginia Beach, so it should be an experience for the whole family. Oddly enough, my teenager still has his eyes set on Annapolis, so it may be a conflicted household. Looking forward to trying something new, if anyone vetures that far north, be sure to give me a heads up. I still have a WWII airplane that has "U.S. Navy" painted on the side.

Mike-

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Good luck! Enjoy West Point - I'm from near that area and it's jaw-dropping beautiful. You'll have good access to "the city," and upstate. PM me for any questions!

Stearmann4

None
Just curious, what aircraft make up the VIP det?
UH-72 Lakotas which are really EurocopterEC-145s with executive interiors. We also have a couple C-182 used to facilitate engineering students and the flying team. We're also looking at C-208 Caravans in FY17. We collaterally support the jump team, the Black Knights with all the aircraft, but the primary mission is executive transport for the Superintendent and designated staff.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
2,000 gallons, 2,500 gallons with internals. Burns 2,700 PPH. That's only for the MH-47s, the CHs carry about 2 hours worth of gas.

I've got a bud who flew Phrogs and now flies S-92's. His observation was that although they were almost the same size, the Phrog was much more nimble. Is your impression that Big Windy is more maneuverable than other helicopters of comparable size? I miss tandem rotor...

Stearmann4

None
I've got a bud who flew Phrogs and now flies S-92's. His observation was that although they were almost the same size, the Phrog was much more nimble. Is your impression that Big Windy is more maneuverable than other helicopters of comparable size? I miss tandem rotor...

Well, it's more nimble than you'd think if it's kept light. he empty operating weight of an MH-47G is almost 32,000lbs, maxed out with 13,200lb of fuel it grosses out at 54,000lbs. As far as maneuverability, I'd suspect a 46' is a little more maneuverable than a 47' just because of the weight. Although, tandem rotors can just move in ways tail-rotor equipped aircraft can't. I've kept a loaded 47G turning with the Blackhawks and Littlebirds. I think it has more to do with who's wiggling the sticks.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still wear my Trident above my wings, which draws several suspicious stares, but to date nobody has had the balls to say anything.
I went through ROTC with a SEAL who, IIRC, commissioned into the Medical Corps. Lost touch with the guy after that, but I always thought it would have been funny to watch someone do a double take when the doc walked into the exam room with a Trident and jump wings on his uniform. :)

Stearmann4

None
Completely unplanned. I could've hung out here another 5 years to finish out as a CW5, but the deployments are endless. As a matter of fact, we just sold our rental house, and the farm. A couple friends are moving the planes to NY for me.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UH-72 Lakotas which are really EurocopterEC-145s with executive interiors. We also have a couple C-182 used to facilitate engineering students and the flying team. We're also looking at C-208 Caravans in FY17. We collaterally support the jump team, the Black Knights with all the aircraft, but the primary mission is executive transport for the Superintendent and designated staff.

Not a very big jump team then I presume? Sounds like a great gig, best of luck!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A well deserved reward after humping it so long. Have fun. Enjoy the family time.