• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integer1

Banned
They only really rejected 479 people:

Applicants (includes nominees) 14,425
Number of applicants with an official nomination 4,599
Nominees qualified scholastically, medically and in physical aptitude 1,951
Offers of admission 1,472
Admitted 1,244

NAPSmom05

The key though, Integer is "qualified". There is no set, published number that makes you qualified or non-qualified academically. If there is I think they should publish it. So, really they reject many many more kids than the 400+ you speak of.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
so what was the acceptance/rejected numbers for "Pre-Appointees" ?

cindy

From reading the post, there were 12,474 pre-appointees!!

Else I do not know what other category into which to place them.

14,425 completed, accepted applications.

Of that only 1,951 met all USNA admission criteria. Of those, 479 did not have a nomination, ergo could not be offered admission.

Mike, who gave you my photo?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, they could have had a nomination, but the academy chose not to accept them because they weren't as qualified as others. The academy can't accept all 2000 qualified nominees because the plebe class would be too big. A kid I know this year was qualified academically, physically, medically, and had a nomination and still got rejected by USAFA.

NAPSmom05

Here's the thing though. There is nowhere that states exactly what academically qualified is. Especially when you look at the stats and see that certain percentages were above and below the 600-700M/V SAT ranges. So, my guess is that there were really a lot more kids competing for these spots that had nominations.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you are considered academically qualified if they accept your precandidate questionnaire that lists your GPA, SATs, class rank, etc. Out of all the qualifications, that's the easiest to get, but finding nominees qualified in all three areas is difficult.

Integer1

Banned
I believe Qualified Scholastically is NOT automatic. The pre-candidate questionnaire just filters the # of applicants they have to sort through. After that, each pre-candidate who becomes a candidate will be looked at after they finish their application. The Qualified Scholastically part will be determined from the transcripts. You can qualify to apply but not qualify scholastically: I can imagine somebody saying they have a 3.5 GPA and high SAT scores, which qualifes them to apply. If the transcript then shows 4 unexplained F's, then they will not be found Scholastically Qualified, which is one of the tests that one must pass to be considered for appointment.

You could have the best reviews, be the most awesome person ever, be the best leader ever, and not be found scholastically qualified. Then, your dreams are shot. The board cannot consider you for an appointment if:

1) You're found scholastically unqualified
2) You're found medically unqualified
3) You're found physically unqualified

If you do qualify for all three, then you're golden. Now, the admissions board gets to look at what you did for activities, your background, etc.

It's better to be qualified for all three than anything else. Even if you did not get a nomination, for instance, that's okay, as long as you qualified for all three things. That's because if admissions likes you, they will get you a nomination from the superintendent.

It's also better to be morally incompetent than unqualified for those three things. Under this system, it's better to cheat in every class (or take very easy classes) and get A's, and be morally irresponsible, because then, the admissions board will actually look at your application. If you are morally responsible and created global peace and only had time to have a 3.0 GPA, there's a chance you might be found scholastically UNqualified when your transcript is processed, so you won't be looked at. Then, it doesn't matter that you created world peace. It might not get to that stage.

(One of their admissions people I spoke to advised taking easy classes that you know you will get A's in, versus challenging yourself and getting B's...)

If I was older and had a son or daughter who wanted to attend the Academies in this day and age, I would try to be rich so that my son and daughter don't have to work in high school. I would advise them to take the easiest classes possible, and play sports. I would also pay for them to play sports on club teams since they were young. I would pay for them to take SAT prep courses and take the SAT 40 times. I would also go on vacations every month so that my kids were always well rested. And have them apply very early.

Heck, you know what else people do? They even put their kids in CRAP high schools so that they can be #1 and at the same time say 'look at this poor place I attended.'

This way, they would be a shoe-in for any academy, especially the daughter.

No, the might not necessarily get into the ivy leagues, since they care about what the child can DO, but the Academies will surely take kids with high GPA and SAT scores and state-recognized athletes, all in one.

This way, they would beat immigrants or minorities or whoever else, who didn't have opportunities until high school, whose parents worked their ass off and sent them to the most challenging high schools where they had to compete with well off students, never mind that even in regular schools, they would have had a language barrier to overcome or a financial barrier, or both, but now they are challenging themselves with the hardest courses in the hardest school, hurting their GPA even MORE. Also, working through school and not having a sports background until high school. And, their Verbal SAT score being lower than other applicants because of the language/financial barrier, or both. (Never mind not even being able to afford to re-take the SATs, or know any better to do so!)

Those students might not make it past the scholastically qualified meter, even if they are state recognized in three different things, despite the hardships. Maybe not even past the pre-candidate questionnaire.

And no, 90% of minorities that attend schools like the Ivy Leagues come from the middle class, so racial profiling mostly benefits non-disadvantaged minorities instead of the disadvantaged.

Now, don't think that since the USNA Profile says that a lot of their students were not ranked in the top percentile in high school, that scholastically UNqualified students were accepted.

In other words, just because USNA statistics show a bunch of their students ranked the worst possible in the high school, doesn't mean they were overlooked. They could have attended very tough schools, they could have been outstanding for several years as enlisted, they could have done well in college.

So, don't be misled when you see high school statistics. Those students with a poor ranking were probably still found scholastically qualified based on things they did AFTER high school, which the school Profile doesn't report.

One other thing: to be looked at for attending NAPS, you still have to be qualified for all three things I mentioned.

Another piece of information I know is that the scholastically qualified mark for the Naval Academy is 3.4 gpa to 3.7 gpa in high school, in general.

So, take easy classes in high school for as high a GPA as you can--of course, you want to take the sciences and maths. And, try to play 3 seasons of sport every year. And of course, participate in activities. That will pretty much get you across the line so that you can go in front of the admissions board even if you didn't get a nomination.

Concentrating on solving world peace or your FAMILY and stuff might disqualify you from even being looked at! It's a college, after all, so grades matter.

But everybody who thinks they want to attend the USNA should definitely apply no matter what and to all nomination sources, since nobody knows what can happen.

If you're more into the leadership stuff, then maybe OCS or ROTC is a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.