• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wow

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Actually the short barrels stand up to long bursts pretty well. Not all the powder burns in the barrel. I don't know all the physics behind it, but on say an m-16 it is easier to melt a 20 inch barrel than a 14 1/2. Trust me ;) . I have an uzi and it is practically impossible to melt the barrel. (and even if you did you just unscrew the barrel nut and throw another one in for about $35)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
Actually the short barrels stand up to long bursts pretty well. Not all the powder burns in the barrel. I don't know all the physics behind it, but on say an m-16 it is easier to melt a 20 inch barrel than a 14 1/2. Trust me ;) . I have an uzi and it is practically impossible to melt the barrel. (and even if you did you just unscrew the barrel nut and throw another one in for about $35)

I'm willing to bet it has more to do with friction than unburnt powder. Copper on steel makes some nice friction at 3200 fps.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Get a class III dealers license and you too can have fun, or, just watch the matrixk, amongst others to enjoy. Believe it or not, beretta makes a full auto 9mm which is actually pretty cool, mr and mrs smith for example. My father has one, and while I haven't physically shot one, those 32 round clips that glock makes are actually pretty cool when they're empty in like 4 seconds. File the sear on your M-16, it'll do the same!!! And actually yes, I have shot something that'll do that, it's called a 240G!!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
FLY_USMC said:
Get a class III dealers license and you too can have fun, or, just watch the matrixk, amongst others to enjoy. Believe it or not, beretta makes a full auto 9mm which is actually pretty cool, mr and mrs smith for example. My father has one, and while I haven't physically shot one, those 32 round clips that glock makes are actually pretty cool when they're empty in like 4 seconds. File the sear on your M-16, it'll do the same!!! And actually yes, I have shot something that'll do that, it's called a 240G!!

You don't need a dealers license but you do need a permit to own class III weapons.

I hope you were joking about filing the sear. An M-16 doesn't need the sear filed; do that to any semi-auto weapon and you will draw the ire of ATF.

It has a firing rate of 1100 to 1300 rounds per minute which would empty the 32 round magazine in about 1.6 seconds

stevew

The link is not working for me but I imagine you are reffering to the Automatic Glock 18. I just held one last week. I took possession of my Mark 23 and the dealer was one of the guys who provides all the guns in the movies. It's supposedly not possible to pull your finger off the trigger of a Glock 18 auto fast enough to fire anything less than 6 rounds. I saw the automatic 9mm berreta that was used in broken arrow as well. I held an HK G36, I saw the 3 (I think they were gatling guns) that were the only ones actually doing firing (the rest were just plastic props) in Saving Private Ryan and Band Of Brothers. I saw the rifles Tom Berenger and Billy Zane used in Sniper and a different one from Sniper 2 that Tom Berenger used. 3 of the guns used in True Lies including the one in the scene where Jamie Lee Curtis drops it down down the steps and kills all the bad guys. I saw a decked out MK23 with LAM and Suppressor, as well as a USP Tac with the same, and much much more, it was a fun day.

......End of threadjack.

I saw the Glock 18 auto there as well. It had a 33 round mag and a collapsable shoulder stock on it. It has a selector to switch from full to semi-auto, same with the automatic beretta

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
The Beretta 93-R is the fully automatic pistol that was referred to. I don't care much for full auto, but I got some 50 round clips for it when I toured the factory in Italy that work in my 92-F. Those open some eyes at the pistol range.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
feddoc said:
You don't need a dealers license but you do need a permit to own class III weapons.

I hope you were joking about filing the sear. An M-16 doesn't need the sear filed; do that to any semi-auto weapon and you will draw the ire of ATF.

It has a firing rate of 1100 to 1300 rounds per minute which would empty the 32 round magazine in about 1.6 seconds

I think the reason he was saying you need a dealers license is because there are very, very few glock 18's that were registered before 1986 (allowing anyone to own them). There may not be any. I know there are a couple berettas and they will fetch between $60-100k. Anyone over 21 with a clean record can own a full auto weapon. There is no permit per say, but you must register each firearm to yourself. So if you buy 10 full autos you will pay to register each 10 individually ($200).

Filing the sear on an M-16 makes it chain fire, which could be very dangerous. You could pull the trigger and let go only to have the gun dump a whole mag. The way safest way to increase the firing rate of an M-16 is to shorten the barrel and thus shorten the gas tube. This can be problematic for the really short barrels, but the 10inchers will run a few hundred RPM faster. Some FA's like the Mac-11 have rate reducers and rate increasers that can change the firing rate. Most people want a slower rate of fire because it is easier to handle. Even a super fast 3 round burst will do you know good if the first hits center of mass and the 2nd and 3rd rounds go sailing over his right shoulder.

While being really cool to watch and for shock and awe factor the machine pistols are really impractical. Beretta designed theirs for executive protection and after adding a front grip and stock, they quit producing it because it was so unwieldy. Today they only produce it in very limited numbers. If you want to see something cool watch someone shoot an HK 51 in full auto. .308 out of a 10 inch barrel makes a fireball as big as the shooter at night.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
While being really cool to watch and for shock and awe factor the machine pistols are really impractical.

Not to mention that it just . . . looks . . . gay. The magazine is bigger than the pistol, for crying out loud. If you want an SMG, get an SMG. No expert but I would think they fall under the same regs, no?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Not to mention that it just . . . looks . . . gay. The magazine is bigger than the pistol, for crying out loud. If you want an SMG, get an SMG. No expert but I would think they fall under the same regs, no?

Yes.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
FLY_USMC said:
.....File the sear on your M-16, it'll do the same!!! ...
The above is some of the WORST advice I have seen on this forum ... do so at your own risk ......

If you have a licensed M-16 ... why would you "screw" with it ??? You paid too much money for it. Really, really stupid.

If you have an AR-15 -- or any other semi-auto --- and you "screw" with it ... you are goin' DOWN. The Feds love to take out guys like those who "file the sear" down on their semi-auto's ... it makes their day. You will either do a big fine, lose all your firearms, and/or go to jail.

By the way, FLY_USMC ... anyone who really wants to and needs to has your internet IP by virtue of your postings herein ... like the BATF, who have NO sense of humor.

Great advice .... :icon_rast

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
xmid said:
I think the reason he was saying you need a dealers license is because there are very, very few glock 18's that were registered before 1986 (allowing anyone to own them). There may not be any. I know there are a couple berettas and they will fetch between $60-100k. Anyone over 21 with a clean record can own a full auto weapon. There is no permit per say, but you must register each firearm to yourself. So if you buy 10 full autos you will pay to register each 10 individually ($200).

Filing the sear on an M-16 makes it chain fire, which could be very dangerous. You could pull the trigger and let go only to have the gun dump a whole mag. The way safest way to increase the firing rate of an M-16 is to shorten the barrel and thus shorten the gas tube. This can be problematic for the really short barrels, but the 10inchers will run a few hundred RPM faster. Some FA's like the Mac-11 have rate reducers and rate increasers that can change the firing rate. Most people want a slower rate of fire because it is easier to handle. Even a super fast 3 round burst will do you know good if the first hits center of mass and the 2nd and 3rd rounds go sailing over his right shoulder.

While being really cool to watch and for shock and awe factor the machine pistols are really impractical. Beretta designed theirs for executive protection and after adding a front grip and stock, they quit producing it because it was so unwieldy. Today they only produce it in very limited numbers. If you want to see something cool watch someone shoot an HK 51 in full auto. .308 out of a 10 inch barrel makes a fireball as big as the shooter at night.

Well, you could be right about why he made the post. It is my understanding that Glock got the patent in 1982. I have never seen one in the hands of a civilan...not surprising, especially since their full production began about 85-86. I have some class III stuff myself; sad to say it is buried in NV as USN has me stationed in a bad place until this December...then, back to Nevada.