• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wow

Falker

Not Air Force
Mini-OCS

Hello all, this candidate just completed a Mini-OCS at Camp Blanding, FL. Boy am I in for a hell of a summer. Four Gunnery Sergeants came down from Quantico to give us an authentic experience. My SGT. Instructor was Gunnery Sergeant Bothwell, Anybody heard of him? I actually kind of liked the way he ran things, but I have to keep in mind it was a watered down version of what I will be leaving for July 9th. If anyone can attend any of these around the nation it would really help in my opinion, it gets rid of the fear of the unknown, now I am motivated more than ever and know somewhat to expect. We started out Friday afternoon with a mock Pick-up, and then went to bed. Saturday morning we awoke at around 0430 with Fire watch's taking place through out the night. We ate and then took around what I believe to be a 6 to 7 mile hump in full camo with packs (not very heavy), then ate lunch (MRE). We then started a round robin evolution where our platoon started out with a compass course, then did a mock SULE, and then LRC. We finished the day with the Obstacle course which was quite fun. We finally finished physical activity at around 1700 and ate Sonny's when we arrived back to the barrack's. Then came a debriefing/QandA with our OSO's, and hit the rack's. Sunday morning we got up at 0500 and ran a PFT, and people recieved awards for the highest PFT score (Super PFT), a Candidate from Tallahasse or Gainesville got a 400, He kicked my ass, but OSO Norcross took the honors for the highest averaged PFT scores. We left, I slept, and am very depressed/motivated (not too contradicting) about leaving for Quantico for 6 weeks. The only part I was disappointed with was that Nathan Fick, the author of "One Bullet Away," was supposed to speak but could not make it.

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
oh, man, i was supposed to go but couldn't make it.

i was curious as hell as to whether or not any of my staff from juniors would be there. G.Sgt.Bothwell was, i believe, Company 1st.Sgt., but i wasn't getting much sleep at the time so my memory's hazy. i remember him, just not sure about how i adressed him.

pretty sure if i saw any of my direct staff there, or more importantly if any of them saw and recognized me, i would have pissed myself.

sucks to hear about Fick, though, that was the part i was most pissed about missing (actually, probably the only part i was pissed i was missing.. humps, MREs, and making the rack a dozen times in fifteen minutes i can live without until this summer). friggin' close to bringing his book to get it autographed. oh well.

glad you had a good time. that was a cake walk. see you this summer =)

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
Hmm...Sonny's BBQ ehh...sounds like Starke, FL...Camp Blanding right...Only place to eat around there haha. I wish I could have gone, but our Semper Fi Society had a field ex saturday, mandatory for us Middies. O well, I guess I still got a little Marine Corps this weekend. Im headed to OCS May 28.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Gunny Bothwell is one mean SOB, he wasn't one of my platoon's SI's, but I'm fairly positive he screamed at me a couple times.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mmmm, Camp Blanding. Brings back some memories. Did you know that they taped the "Boot Camp" reality show there?

Brett

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
We are having our summer nrotc orientation at camp blanding this august. Should be interesting. Hopefully I'll be in pensacola by then and not driving the van everywhere as the newly stashed ensign.

batman527

Banned
Brett327 said:
Mmmm, Camp Blanding. Brings back some memories. Did you know that they taped the "Boot Camp" reality show there?

Brett

I just watched an episode of that on the Reality Network!

JTD

FLY_USMC said:
Gunny Bothwell is one mean SOB, he wasn't one of my platoon's SI's, but I'm fairly positive he screamed at me a couple times.
Gunny Bothwell was one of my SI's and I thought he was fairly easy on us. Gunny Tirado was our other SI so I guess the devil himself would seem kind of easy going in that respect.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Gunny Bothwell is a funny dude, he made us laugh our asses off. He puts off a rough exterior, and does push you, but at the end he made us laugh it all away.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Lunchbox said:
GySgt Bothwell was one of my Sergeant Instructors at OCS in the summer of 2004 (OCC-186)...

Damn buddy, we were in the same platoon. Send me a message and let me know who this is