• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wow, it's been 20 years!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So in my quick research about PIRAZ, the Destroyers/Cruisers seemed to be doing what a Hawkeye does now for the battle group. Why were these surface assets used as opposed to an E-1/E-2 on station? Did the early radar on the E-1/E-2 just not have the ability to track and coordinate at that level?

Good question. And I don't really know the correct answer. Maybe somone else can help?

My guess is the E-2 was too vulnerable to get close enough to the action to do any good. The more heavily armed ships could get much closer to the action going on feet dry, still being able to shoot down MiGs and enemy PT boats that an E-2 could obviously not.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So in my quick research about PIRAZ, the Destroyers/Cruisers seemed to be doing what a Hawkeye does now for the battle group. Why were these surface assets used as opposed to an E-1/E-2 on station? Did the early radar on the E-1/E-2 just not have the ability to track and coordinate at that level?

Actually, it wasn't a case of ONE or the OTHER. During our SAR both our E-2 and Red Crown were on station, in fact the E-2 was controlling the many Attack RESCAP A-4is covering us survivors, while Red Crown was "doing their thing". The E-2 also audio-taped the whole event on SAR frequency and presented me and the A-6 pilot a copy of the 40 min. tape, which I have today on a CD.

In addition, the E-2 has no offenive capability, such as a DDG or CGs Missiles, Guns, small arms etc., nor can they pick up downed aircrew ejecting after going "feet wet"

E-2 and Red Crown are a team.
BzB

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
F14DesertStorm.jpg

A U.S. Navy F-14A Tomcat fighter aircraft refuels from a U.S. Air Force KC-10A Extender aircraft as other Tomcats fly in formation, during Operation Desert Storm. Squadrons represented by the aircraft are, from foreground: Fighter Squadron 33 (VF-33), Fighter Squadron 84 (VF-84) and Fighter Squadron 14 (VF-14). (Air Force file photo)

jmcquate

Contributor
Re-post, but it fits here

Here's a link (not sure about copywrite) to one of the most amazing shot I've ever seen.

http://assets.theatlantic.com/static...22_003_200.jpg

It's from an article in the Atlantic Monthly about Col Cesar Rodriguez. It's a HUD video still from an Iraqi MiG-29 that’s about to take a Sparrow in the nose. The kill was done by an F-15 flown by Craig Underhill during Desert Storm. The image was recovered by the wreckage.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Brian Williams on NBC Nightly news recently did an interview with Bush Sr. and his wartime cabinet from the Gulf War....it's about 30 minutes long. I enjoyed it, I think you can search for it online if you didn't watch it. It's a pity that Stormin' Norman was too ill to make it.

EDIT: Here is a clip..the full episode is around the interweb somewhere. The full episode is them around the table talking..no news clips.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#41234830

robav8r

None
Contributor
Some very motivating posts here. I was an instructor at HSL-40 at Naval Station Mayport at the time. Watched Peter Jennings break the story on ABC then ran outside to see if my neighbors had heard the news.

And then, enter Paula Coughlin & Tailhook and our Navy changed forever . . . . .

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Re-post, but it fits here

Here's a link (not sure about copywrite) to one of the most amazing shot I've ever seen.

http://assets.theatlantic.com/static...22_003_200.jpg

It's from an article in the Atlantic Monthly about Col Cesar Rodriguez. It's a HUD video still from an Iraqi MiG-29 that's about to take a Sparrow in the nose. The kill was done by an F-15 flown by Craig Underhill during Desert Storm. The image was recovered by the wreckage.

Actually I am pretty certain that is incorrect, HeyJoe described the real story behind that photo some time ago here on another thread but I am too lazy to look for it now. I believe it was from a US test of a missile.