• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Would I even be able to commission?

Yes, I used the search function but it couldn't answer all my questions.

(sorry for the long post)

I want to commission into the US Military. The problem is that I was removed from AFROTC two weeks from commissioning in May; I had a UAV pilot position. I was removed this late due to several administrative mistakes that were not caught until my last semester.

I was removed because of prior drug use. A couple years ago(I'm 25 now), the latest when I was 20, I took some prescription drugs without a prescription. I took Ritalin ~50 times over a period of about 2 years and Hydrocodone once or twice (didn't even feel it). I was never addicted and it never caused any trouble for me except for feeling guilty at times. I wised up and never wanted to do it again. When I was 22, I transfered schools and joing AFROTC. During In-Processing I asked whether or not I should put it down since it was not one of the listed drugs on the form. I was told "no, because it's a prescription drug" whatever, I didn't put it down. Went back and mentioned to one of the captains about it and he said it was between me and DodMERB, well got my DodMERB and they didn't ask about it. Did my SF-86 and put it on there, that went fine. Then turned in the same SF-86 with 10 years on it and the cadre freaked out and sent a packet to HQ. I had the support of the entire staff except for the col) and even a couple prior officers including the previous Det commander when I submitted my rebuttal, but I was removed for "fraudulent enlistment" anyways and given the "Definitely not recommended" box on the separation form.

They didn't make me pay anything back, nor did they revoke my secret, and they even sent me a Honorable Discharge certificate in the mail.

I was also diagnosed with ADD or ADHD when I was young (1st grade) and my mother made me take meds till I was 18 and I stopped taking them on my own and my grades actually went up. I feel that it was a misdiagnosis.

I understand that my integrity and reliability might come into question with this information, but I never made any attempt to cover anything up. I even tried to tell them a second time when I spoke to the captain. I feel that given the elapsed time since the drug use and what I have accomplished since then, that I have established a good reputation and I would like to think it shows maturity and dedication that would have been questioned before.

I'm not mad at the AF and I realize that they have to enforce the regulations even if they realize that a mistake was made in the past on their part. All I want to do is serve my country, preferably by flying. As of now, I'm just starting a new job flight instructing full time at a large flight school in Arizona. If I can't fly for the military, I would like to fly for CBT, DEA, FBI, or CIA in the future.

I know this is a long post, but I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I would very much like to fly for the Navy if I could, but I'm afraid I might have burned that bridge when I was young and stupid.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I'll cut this off at the pass...

While your story sucks and, assuming your version is an accurate representation of the facts, you probably deserve better. There are thousands of people with a clean record in line. Why would the Navy spend the extra time figuring out what really happened to you when they can send you home and take the next fully qualified widget in line?

That really sucks to read I am sure. I feel for you. Doors have been shut on me before. Sometimes I kept ringing the doorbell and sometimes I went to the next house.

Apply and see what happens or go to the next house. If you don't try, I can guarentee you chances are 0%.

Good luck One billion two hundred thirty four million five hundred sixty seven thousand eight hundred and ninety.

Thanks, I'm getting my parents to mail my Honorable Discharge certificate and going to a recruiter when I have time. Hopefully if I can't get in, I'll end up flying for the feds. If you have any advice on flying for the gov't, shoot away.