• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worth it to re-barrel 8mm Mauser?

invictus

I have several 8mm Mauser miltary rifles. I like them, The actions are strong and reliable. I'd like to convert one to .308. Does anyone here think it's worth the cost to buy a .308 barrel and swap it out with the 8mm? Has anyone here ever tried this? By the way -the intended candidate for the swap-out will not be a German WW2 collectible -rather a less-expensive Turkish or Czech-made model.

BlkPny

pilot
Most of the pre-war Czech Mauser actions made at the Brno factory are excellent, proably better than many of the German-made actions from some of the lesser-known factories. If your action is a VZ-24 made prior to 1943, you have a gem. If it is marked VZ-33, you should immediately send it to me.

I'm not a big fan of the Turkish models, unless it was made at Mauser (BYF) or in Berlin (DWM).

Any good Mauser action is a great candidate for rebarelling. They will accept just about any modern cartridge, as long as you don't have to open the action up to accept a huge case, like a .416 Rigby. Other than that, go for it.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
What is the purpose of the rebarrel? Tack driver? Hunting? Just something new?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Piggybacking on BlkPny, I'd say go for it just for the fun of shooting. Hell, shooting is just like throwing quarters out your window anyways, so what a few more for the rebarrel? :)
Plus, those old Mausers are fun to shoot, just have a *good* gunsmith check out the action for age/stress failures. Not too too common, but better safe than sorry if your rebarreling.

Skeet

Banned
I have to add... you must have alot of money. There is no reason to do this. You might as well throw dollars.

BlkPny

pilot
I have to add... you must have alot of money. There is no reason to do this. You might as well throw dollars.

I disagree. With the possible exception of the pre-1964 Winchester model 70, there is no safer, stronger, and more reliable bolt action made than a good Mauser model 98.

There is no "reason" for most of our firearms. It will be relatively inexpensive
to rebarrel a good action, and you will have a really personal rifle. Do it for the fun of it.

Why would you say that? .308 IS a more accurate cartridge with similar ballistics. Id go .270 or 06 if it were me but it's dealers choice, nothing wrong with a .308.

LowWingLoad

Mauser Hogue Stock

I have a K98 8mm Mauser which I am contemplating changing out the wood stock to the Hogue overmolded rubber stock.

Does anyone have an experience with this such as fit, shimming, overall look and feel.

I have seen everything Hogue has on it but was wondering if anyone happens to have some first hand experience.

Thanks.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Similar ballistics really? I don't know much about 8mm except that it kicks like a mule. And it's pretty cheap. For that reason alone I'd keep it 8mm. Put the cash toward another rifle in .308 :)

airmanwilliams

do you just need the barrel to complete this.

im new to the whole gun world but looking at getting a turkish 8mm mauser and want to do the same thing. Is it just swaping the barrels all that is needed to make it a .308 mauser?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
im new to the whole gun world but looking at getting a turkish 8mm mauser and want to do the same thing. Is it just swaping the barrels all that is needed to make it a .308 mauser?

Essentially yes but the new barrel needs to be chambered and headspaced correctly. It's a job for a gunsmith unless you're an experienced gun tinkerer and your Dad's a TV repair man with an awesome set of tools.