• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worst Idea In A Long Time....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm convinced that Hollywood's coming out with great films now and then is proof positive that a large enough number of monkeys at a large enough number of typewriters will eventually write Shakespeare.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I didn't read all 4 of the links in the OP so it might have been mentioned there.... BUT:

I remember reading a couple years back that Tom Cruise was heavily lobbying for a second installment, from what I read the plot involved Mav as an instructor at NFWS and he had to overcome the challenges of dealing with a hot shot female pilot...

Overall I feel like Top Gun, though terrible in sooooo many ways, has it's place in the 80's. It fit the 80's, and it should remain there.

phrogpilot73

Anybody seen Val Kilmer recently? He might have to play the part of Sim Instructor.
fat-val-kilmer.jpg

You guys are DANGEROUS!

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
When I first heard that they were making a movie out of The A-Team I thought it would be horrible, but it turned out to be pretty entertaining. My wife even really liked it. I don't think Tom Cruise as an instructor dealing with some hot female student would be that great of a baseline, but I'm sure some writer could come up with something interesting if they really pushed to make it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Hollywood needs to stop destroying my childhood properties. Transformers, GI Joe, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, the A-Team? All awesome in their own time, then turned into projects that should've been aborted in the concept phase.

About the only decent remake lately is the new Batman movies, but they weren't exactly replacing classics. The Val Kilmer/Michael Keaton/George Clooney Batman movies all blew anyway.

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
If you read the comments on the second link, one of the guys actually had a pretty good treatment. He just needs to change Mirimar to Fallon.

It's 25 years later and Maverick is a highly decorated veteran and very experienced Top Gun instructor. A new class of cocky, fresh and overeager pilots descend on Mirimar. There's a new young hotshot who thinks he's God gift to women and flying, which gives Maverick a sense of Deja-vu. He doesn't know if he is seeing himself or something else entirely in this new kid, but when Goose's widow Carole (Meg Ryan) hands this kid his dad's old bomber jacket, Maverick is transported to his glory days. He walks up and gives his greetings to his former pal Goose's wife and says, "hey son I flew with your old man". When Goose's son Bradley joins the conversation his demeanour changes and he says, "Yeah, I know who you are, you're the pilot who got my dad killed. He walks away while being scolded by his mother who is sadened at her sons comment and feels mixed feelings seeing a reminder of all she and her son lost. She has moved on, but worries her son is more like Maverick in his reckless ways than he ever was like Goose. She shares this with Maverick and asks his help to watch over him during Top Gun training. He agrees and realizes how conservative he's gotten over the years when he sees the new kid Bradley AKA "Phoenix" destroy all his old records one by one while also breaking every rule in the book to do it. Maverick has a soft spot for this kid and what he went through after his father's death and has a little left in his tank to show the kid a thing or two. Meanwhile, Maverick's young daughter only 20 checks out the Top Gun bar and falls for a handsome Bradley and then proceeds to torture him for her affection. Weeks pass by and Maverick and Carole see their kids are falling for each other. All of a sudden a new top secret fleet of North Korean migs test the air space of South Korea. After a blatent move last year (2010) by the North to sink a South Korean vessel and the lack of any major consequence by the West or its allies, the North have sent their new fleet to test the American response. News coming out of the region suggests this is the last step before the North can feel they can advance by sea and air to invade South Korea. They assume once in South Korea their nuclear deterent will make the West talk big, but do little. It is up to Maverick, Phoenix and his fellow Top Gun cadets to mobilize a response to the new highly secret fleet of North Korea before it's too late and the United States and its allies must be faced with war with a nuclear rogue state. When Maverick is hit by enemy fire and is surrounded Phoenix swoops in and uses his unconventional methods to even the odds. One by one the new migs are no match for American dogfighting experience and heart. Remaining migs bug out. Movie ends with a Maverick-Goose kids wedding and some familiar karoake You've Lost That Loving Feeling" by the new father in law Maverick to his wife Charlie. 2 modern jets fly off in the credits. Que Linkin Park theme for Top Gun 2.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Okay so 25 years later...

Fits the age of Goose's kid okay but...

Maverick would be between 30-35 years of service. That would make him an O-7 if he is still around and active which he has to be to get into the fight at the end. When was the last time you saw an O-7 frontline Instructor at any school? Hell the highest rank we even saw in the original was an O-6 at the graduation right?

Sheesh leave it alone already....

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
How about an alternate plot?

The rebellious young pilot who may or may not be a reflection of Maverick is at the beginning of a promising career when the unthinkable happens. He pulls up to the base on his motorcycle gets in an argument with the gate guard over whether he has to wear an orange vest or brightly colored clothing on base. As the layers are peeled back by a preliminary investigation, it is found that he is not current on the sport bike rider course although there is, in fact, a signed a pg13 in his jump jacket stating that he will not ride if his currency expires on this course. With his front office in a bind for this possible integrity violation and only excuses for missing the course the last three times it was offered (TAD on workups, standing duty, flew late the night before, no empty slots in the class, etc.), he soon finds himself on an IA to an unnamed country. In the meantime a subplot unfolds, based around an attractive female contractor working for an unnamed company that has ties with an unnamed agency. Although they have random moments of romantic chemistry around the FOB at the DFAC, the gym, and even a shower trailer, she seems to erratically disappear and reappear throughout this part of the film. Our protagonist wonders if the object of his desires is being pulled away on highly classified missions or if she is involved with another man. At the climax of the story our hero has to face with his mortality and the importance of proper paperwork...

... but I don't want to give away the ending. :)

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
SynixMan wrote:
"Hollywood needs to stop destroying my childhood properties. Transformers, GI Joe, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, the A-Team? All awesome in their own time, then turned into projects that should've been aborted in the concept phase.

About the only decent remake lately is the new Batman movies, but they weren't exactly replacing classics. The Val Kilmer/Michael Keaton/George Clooney Batman movies all blew anyway."

You forgot the Karate Kid. That's a new one right? That came out great didn't it?