• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Worst Case Scenario"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DairyCreamer

Ok, so... imagine I get my degree in Chemical Engineering in 3 more semesters, yet my GPA is still screwing me, and I just can't get by the officer review board(s) to get selected as a pilot (or officer in general).

Imagine that I was still as hyped up and excited about Navy life that I still wanted to join.

Imagine then that I went ahead and enlisted (likely much to the dismay of my parents) to get experience as a sailor to eventually apply for the officer program.

Questions abound, like, how long would I have to be enlisted for before I could be considered for officer programs (pilot namely). What rate would be best to select for the time as enlisted... IE - could I work as an ATC for a while, or would I be better off working maintenence on the plane(s) I want to fly? Or are there even better rates that could apply toward piloting?

I labled this post "Worst Case Scenario" because I hope not to have to reach this point, and just do the OCS thing after college, going straight to officer, not necessarily because I despise the idea of going enlisted to officer. It's just a thought, and something I hope I dont have to deal with when I keep re-applying to the board over the next months.

BTW - Anyone got an idea of how many times one can apply to become an officer before either 1.) Not being able to apply anymore, or 2.) Getting the hint that there's no way you're getting in?

Thanks guys... here's hopin for a kick ass semester of grades for me and all :)

~Nate

DairyCreamer

Well, here goes...

5th Year Sr at CU - Boulder
Major: Chemical Engineering
Minor: Atmospheric and Oceanic Science
Expected Grad: Dec. 2004

Current Cum. GPA: ~2.4 (eww, I know)

ASTB: 58 OAR, 8 AQR, 9 PFAR, 8 NFOFAR

~20 Flight hours (pre-solo though, since the hours are so spread out), including introductory aerobatic flight.

Havn't had to take the PFT yet, but working on it so I can take it and score well before re-submitting my package in December. Was denied first time around in early August.

Workin this semester for a kick ass GPA (lookin for Dean's List), and hopefully show the board that I'm not a dunce
dunce_125.gif

So yah, I appreciate whatever thoughs you guys have!

~Nate

Fatboy

pilot
CU grad here also

First of all, the more times you apply the better it looks. They notice you keep trying. I was enlisted and I didn't get picked up the first time. However, I didn't have a degree. If you have a degree you are pretty much a shoe in. As long as your a good performer not even the greatest you will get in.

I was a sonar tech. If I could do it over again I would of been an AW. I have yet to meet an AW that didn't like his job. Now, finding a junior sailor part of ships company that loves his job is a bit harder to find. I just notice those guys seem to have way more positive expierences.

DairyCreamer

May I ask what an AW is?

Yah, I definitely keep hearing apply early and apply often... I'll just keep bugging them until they let me in I suppose :)

I gotta keep my parents at bay though, they want me to go Air Force so I can have a better shot at a stable, happy family, and cushier bases to live at. I dunno, I think flying off a boat would be a WAY better experience :)

~Nate

digger

There is a speed limit when taxing officer?
Aviation Warfare (AW), they do task such a RADAR jamming, submarine detection, etc. Here is a link:
http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/navyjobs/blnavyjobs.htm
If you want to fly Go Navy, if you want to play golf go Air Force.

Borncreole

AW to me is the best rate in the Navy. If you are an AW, you will fly. It is our job. If you go AW/SAR you will be a helo bubba. If you want to check out some of the "A-dubs" go the the hangar... http://members.cts.com/sd/b/bwickes/ it is our website. I love flying and it is because I loucked out and became an AW is why I am applying to become a pilot. If you have to go enlisted...go AW. When I was coming up I was in a class of 6. I was the youngest. There are only 2 of us left enlisted, 3 are commissioned (2 pilots) (1 NFO), 1 got out. A-dubs get selected...just keep applying.

STA21pilot

Good luck with that GPA. How does your score come out if you apply for Pilot, and what is the basic minimum score to be acceptable??

I'm trying to come up through STA-21 and I'm from Lafayette, so you know I want to go BSAE at CU. I came by last June and talked it up with the NRTOC dept. and Admissions. They all seem pretty available to assist in any way.

Hope you have the same luck.

JKD

Keep in mind GPA is sometimes relative to major. Engineering graduates normally have lower GPAs than some other degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.