• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worse than -6.00 refraction: any hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyboy21

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a waiver for having worse than -6.00 refraction? As far as I can tell from reading all the NOMI links and everything else people have said on here, people with worse than -6 are totally out of luck. However, I had an eye exam at NAS Meridian this summer, and the flight surgeon there told me that even though I had worse than -6.00, I still had a shot at getting a waiver down the road. Thanks for any advice.

Meridiani

Have you thought about PRK? If I remember the NAMI opthamology info correctly, your vision can be as bad as plus or minus 8 diopters for SNFO.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flyboy21,
What are your stats? Active-Duty? NROTC? College Grad? Etc...
The Navy's Commissioning Standards are < +/- 8.0 diopters, BUT in order to get an NROTC scholarship, your diopters must be < +/- 6.0. Yes, PRK can fix the diopter problem.
Waviers? Yes, waivers are possible, but not guarenteed! Good luck.
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

flyboy21

I'm a 3/C MIDN in NROTC. I've already received the scholarship. Right now, I'm just doing all I can now to prepare a good flight application down the road. I know my eyes are good enough for active duty service, I just didn't how they stack up as far as flight goes. I just can't get a solid yes/no from anybody if I should even bother to continue trying for aviation since I have worse than -6.00.

stevew

Flyboy, YES!!!

If you have worse than -5.50 than you must wait 6 months to apply for the waiver. People with better vision than -5.50 only have to wait 3 months beford they can apply for the waiver. I am applying now for Marine OCS as well as others on this forum who have had PRK and are applying for pilot. If you have any Q's IM or PM me.

Steve

flyboy21

Thanks to all for the advice. I guess I'm still in the game for PRK. In that case, if I'm a sophomore 3/C Midshipman, do I have to wait until after Service Selection as an SNFO to get PRK done, or is it possible that I can get it before Service Selection in hopes of going SNA? Or would I be disqualified from everything by getting PRK while still in college and ROTC? Thanks.

Meridiani

I didn't realize that you're a midshipman. I think that PRK may indeed by disqualifying for you prior to commissioning--check with your NROTC command.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No...Please don't wait....Talk to your advisor and get the surgery sometime during your Junior year.....You can actually get a pilot slot. We just had 3 people selected for an SNA slot and 2 of them had the PRK. It works, BUT there are always risks...(& costs). If you can't get any help from your side of the house, PM me with your email address and I can email you some of the Naval Messages....or you can find them online. Your first stop should be to talk with your advisor and the Aviation LT at your unit (if you have one). Good luck!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by flyboy21
Thanks to all for the advice. I guess I'm still in the game for PRK. In that case, if I'm a sophomore 3/C Midshipman, do I have to wait until after Service Selection as an SNFO to get PRK done, or is it possible that I can get it before Service Selection in hopes of going SNA? Or would I be disqualified from everything by getting PRK while still in college and ROTC? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.