• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

World Trade Center

fighterpfeif

Saw the movie today. Pretty intense and extremely well done, not an oz. of politics or other messages. Can't say much more, than it really moved me, brought back alot of memories, and made me more motivated to get down to OCS whether or not I fly in the Navy.

I would recommend it to anyone who feels that they are ready to see a movie about 9/11.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
As a New Yorker, I wasn't originally going to see this. In reading the news coverage, though, it seems like one of the main characters is a former Marine, who rushes to the scene and is the only one in the movie to look forward and express a desire for payback. That may be enough to get my butt in the theater.

jmiller82

I just got back from watching the movie "World Trade Center" at the theater. It was a good film, without the politics that usually accompany such types of movies. Without spoiling it for those who've yet to see it, I have to say that the Marines were well represented in this movie - always faithful (I think that's the right translation).. Oliver Stone did well with this one.. I think it was well presented in the fact that many Americans (even though we are at "war") have hidden the danger and rough memory that exists of the incidents of 9/11 and the War on Terror that we entered into on that day. I think this film, without addressing the merits for war or presenting propaganda (on either side), reintroduced the fact that we are indeed at war, and that Americans, regardless of the price or sacrifice will unite - on a level that the hijackers/terrorists/any other would-be attackers couldn't predict. I liked the last part of the movie (again without spoiling it) where the narration says that "We must not hide or forget ... the events... (or something to that effect), but instead should remember (or embrace - I'm terrible with verbatim quotes). "

Any other comments about the movie in general?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I didn't think the movie was very good at all. There was no background into the hijackings at all. The whole movie was more about flashbacks and survival, not the events as a total. It seemed to me to be a very narrow scope; although including the families suffering was done well.

And as for not being political at all, you didn't see any conservative political agendas... of course not. It is an Oliver Stone film. When they went through all the video clips of people across the world stunned and watching TVs... did they show a single clip of Arabs dancing in the streets rejoicing? I still remember seeing that on CNN. The movie made no mention, other than SSgt Karnes about getting back at what happened. Do you think there would have been any mention of retribution at all if they hadn't needed to show SSgt Karnes at the WTC as an integral part in finding the trapped officers?

Cate

Pretty much invincible
I didn't think the movie was very good at all. There was no background into the hijackings at all. The whole movie was more about flashbacks and survival, not the events as a total. It seemed to me to be a very narrow scope; although including the families suffering was done well.
Well, that's because the movie wasn't about the hijackings. It was a heroism-in-the-darkest-hour kind of movie. The scope was narrow for a reason: because it was about the guys who went in to rescue people from the towers, particularly these two guys who had this experience.

I won't go nuts here, because I posted about this a few pages back, but that's why I think it's not the right time for this movie. So many people are looking for a "kickin' ass and bustin' heads" kind of movie that'll make everyone mad all over again and remind us why we're fighting and make us want to turn the Middle East into a parking lot and blah, blah, blah, blah. Then Oliver Stone makes a movie that's actually about people, not ideology, and everyone's saying, "Hey, that didn't piss me off at all! What gives?!"

/rant

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Way too soon

I love that line...what are you talking about?! With American's short term memory...I was thinking this should have come out about 4 years ago and re-released every year after that for the rest of my life!

Anywho...thought this was interesting...CHECK YOUR FACTS PEOPLE!!!! Not that hollywood really gives a damn...

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Just my opinion ... I'm a New Yorker and this kinda stuff pisses me off .... I'm sure the movie was good and all but there's been an influx of movies/tv specials/documentariess ... I'm not saying that we shouldn't remember ...**** I'll always remember, but to me it's kinda like rubbernecking an accident when your driving down the highway. That's why I NEVER went down to see the rubble after the towers went down (I also hate when we feel the need to label everything ... i.e. "Ground Zero"). It just became another "Tourist Attraction"

Not saying every/anyone should feel this way ... just my feelings on the subject.

Peace,

-Spin

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
That's why I NEVER went down to see the rubble after the towers went down (I also hate when we feel the need to label everything ... i.e. "Ground Zero"). It just became another "Tourist Attraction"

To me it's a "Tourist Attraction" as much as my friend's gravestone at Arlington is a "Tourist Attraction"...or the names on the wall at the Vietnam Vet's Memorial is...

I know how the New Yorker's feel about tourists though...as my brother is in the city...to label Ground Zero that way is exactly why I think they should release this movie, over and over and over again...

Just my opinion though.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just my opinion ... I'm a New Yorker and this kinda stuff pisses me off .... I'm sure the movie was good and all but there's been an influx of movies/tv specials/documentariess ... I'm not saying that we shouldn't remember ...**** I'll always remember, but to me it's kinda like rubbernecking an accident when your driving down the highway. That's why I NEVER went down to see the rubble after the towers went down (I also hate when we feel the need to label everything ... i.e. "Ground Zero"). It just became another "Tourist Attraction"

Not saying every/anyone should feel this way ... just my feelings on the subject.

Peace,

-Spin

You're a New Yorker.

The rest of the country isn't. You will notice the further you get away from the attack sites, the more people forget...