• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

workout supplements

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
WHOA BOGEY!! You're like, blowing my mind man! Freak OUT!!!

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Creatine doesn't make a difference. You take it, you wont even notice anything, except maybe a placebo effect. It's not worth the $$$. If I was a pro athlete / bodybuilder, I wouldn't even bother with it.

Why is creatine successful? Hype. 16 year olds that want to get swole and think they will using creatine because Ronnie Coleman gets paid $$$ to say so.

I think its that way for the majority supplements, they're a waste of money but are popular because of hype / marketing.

Spend your $$$ elsewhere, a good diet will help you more. The only thing that lives up to the supplement companies' hype are steroids.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I love how everyone uses anecdotal evidence as if that applies to everyone...

Creatine is not harmful, and it doesn't directly impact your cardio (I have read studies to the contrary which say it helps it). I ran a marathon taking the stuff every day.

Another misconception is that people who take it fill up with water and then when they stop they shrink back to the same size. Not true. It is true that your muscles retain more water while taking it - and they lose that water when you discontinue usage, but while on it you are able to do more work with your muscles inducing more growth. In other words: the muscle is really there.

Do a search on the bodybuilding.com forums for creatine and you will easily find over 100+ links to various scientific/medical studies concerning creatine, and many other supplements.

(I realize you can't take it on flight status - so the point is moot for most people on here)

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Another misconception is that people who take it fill up with water and then when they stop they shrink back to the same size. Not true. It is true that your muscles retain more water while taking it - and they lose that water when you discontinue usage, but while on it you are able to do more work with your muscles inducing more growth. In other words: the muscle is really there.

With creatine monohydrate there is water retention, with creatine ethyl ester there isn't.

IDK why anyone would want to use monohydrate though, its like 30g/day for a loading phase

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
I would, but as you know a balanced diet is hard to come by in college. I'm trying to find something to help me make up for all those goodies I don't get with your average college diet.

that's a lame excuse. last time i checked, college cafeteria's had the full gambit of nutritious foods for the taking. You can at the very least get a healthy balance. eggs in the morning, fruits, salad bar, juices, meat of the day, etc.

it all comes down to discipline and not going for the easy McCrap off campus...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
that's a lame excuse. last time i checked, college cafeteria's had the full gambit of nutritious foods for the taking. You can at the very least get a healthy balance. eggs in the morning, fruits, salad bar, juices, meat of the day, etc.

it all comes down to discipline and not going for the easy McCrap off campus...

This is complete horeshit. Try going to ERAU. With a school with 1700 students, the cafeteria sucked. At most meals (except breakfast) there was NO option of lean protein. NONE. Just boiled burgers sitting in a pool of grease and breaded chicken patties. It was heinous. I dropped the cafeteria after one semester, and cooked for myself.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm going to have to agree with bogey_spotter on the college cafe' menu. The Student Government at my school only recently fought and won the battle over making a healthier Cafeteria menu. Even now I still think it needs work, but it wasn't nearly as healthy before. Who know what the other campuses are doing.

MasterBates

I can chime in.. GMI was 1500 or so students. Freshmen were REQUIRED to have a meal plan, upperclass could pay on a per meal basis.

I only ate breakfast there, and only if I was on campus that early.. My fraternity's cook would cook ANYTHING for someone who was on a special diet. And she is a damn good cook. Her making tasty stuff that was nutritious was about the only reason I did not turn into a fatass like most Enginerds.

BourneID

pilot
This is complete horeshit. Try going to ERAU. With a school with 1700 students, the cafeteria sucked. At most meals (except breakfast) there was NO option of lean protein. NONE. Just boiled burgers sitting in a pool of grease and breaded chicken patties. It was heinous. I dropped the cafeteria after one semester, and cooked for myself.

Yeah but you can't tell us that ERAU doesn't have a lot of Nutritious Restaurants in the area either. Or better yet, go to Publix or whatever else grocery store is nearby, and cook for yourself.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Like anything, some people respond to creatine and some don't. I noticed an improvement when I started taking it. Worth the price? Probably not.

Creatine is found in red meat, among other foods. It's not unnatural. If you take a TON of it and you don't stay hydrated and you do this for a long period of time, there's a CHANCE you might harm your kidneys. If you take proper doses and stay hydrated (which you need to do in order to reap the benefits of creatine anyway) you'll be fine.

For the most part, I stick to whey protein. It's great for immediate post-workout, days when you're coming up short on your protein intake, or even quick mini-meals on the go when you're running out the door.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle

Not all schools are like this... ERAU is tiny compared to most state schools (like mine). We had a wide variety of foods including a fresh deli and salad bar. There are healthy options out there, it just depends on your school.

@ original poster. You're going for flight status, so why build a habit that you can't maintain? Its more reasonable for you to pair healthy eating with exercise 3-4 times per week. IMO its better to do endurance training than weigh yourself down with extra muscle, it'll hurt your run time. My recommendation is to combine running, swimming, and weight lifting. You'll stay lean and have loads of energy on a fairly constant basis.