• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

workout supplements

staff03

Some of my friends take the creatine powder before their workouts and say it really makes a difference. Does anyone know if using it actually helps or even if it is banned or anything? I'm going to MEPS this week and I don't know if they draw blood or anything, but if I start taking this I would hate for it to be banned or something. So, does anyone recommend using this before workouts?

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Well, I know they do draw blood, but I don't know if it helps or not, or even if it shows up on the tests. But if I were you, I wouldn't blow an opportunity for the rest of your life on some mere Creatine. I'd wait and ask the question when I were at MEPS to see if it is a banned or questionable item.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
We have a MID here who's training to become a SEAL who uses creatine. According to him it helps him out with his tough exercise regiment. On the other hand I've been told that the substance can do serious damage to the kidneys and cause dehydration. As for me, I stick to a daily vitamin and a regular protein shake. Nothing more, nothing less.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Not 100% about MEPS, but it is prohibited for those of us on flight status, so whether you can get away with it at MEPS or not, you won't be taking it for long. DON'T DO IT.

I used to use it, and it worked well. But being a pilot is better!

staff03

I would, but as you know a balanced diet is hard to come by in college. I'm trying to find something to help me make up for all those goodies I don't get with your average college diet.

red_ryder

None
Sure it helps your workouts, but you regress after you stop taking it...and once you start, they won't let you take it.

I think you should get used to blasting yourself without it.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I took it for a while and could definitely tell that it helped. However, I would not take it for an extended period of time due to the associated health risks. I asked the people at MEPS when I went the same question, whether or no suppliments would fail a pee or blood test and they said no. I was taking my suppliments up until the day I went to MEPS and did just fine.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I went from weighing 150 since the age of 15 until I started working out consistantly 3 years ago. I didn't use creatine, but did eat a powerbar or other nutrition bar for lunch 5 days a week for the past year and a half. I just lifted weights and was active. My max weight was about 185, until I started focusing more on cardio for OCS. I am now around 175 and stand at 5'10/11. Creatine isn't really necessary. Just start working. Also, I take a one a day every night and try to avoid too much junk food.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
No, they have mens too

oadmen.jpg

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
... take a one a day every night and try to avoid too much junk food.

Can you take a "One a Day" at night?? Is that allowed? Doesn't that tear a hole in the space-time continuum?

BLASPHEMY!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Creatine has never been proven to have harmful side effects. While you may have read somewhere that a guy died from dehydration, kidney failure, etc., I know of no credible study which indicates that creatine was a causal factor.

Aviation folks can't take it.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Marine gyms have creatine on their generic "don't do supplements" list, along with ma-huang, andro, OKG, etc. Don't think it's regulatory unless on flt status.

The latest Marine safety course, "Global War on Error" (clever, I know) actually recommends using multivitamins to avoid diet shortcomings.